Laboratory Safety Manager
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, implement, and manage an effective safety program that ensures equipment, processes and personnel behaviors promote and maintain a safe, accident-free workplace.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory safety standards in the laboratory departments, including cell culture, molecular, NGS, histology, biorepository, and nucleotide extraction laboratories across 3 sites.
- Continuously improve the safety program utilizing historical safety data and incorporating current updates in safety procedures and tools.
- Function as the subject matter expert for the interpretation, application and compliance with regulatory and industry safety standards, including OSHA, CAP/CLIA, NYS, FDA, ISO, EPA, and DOT.
- Facilitate and oversee effective training programs including those for new employees, annual re-training, and function / department-specific training.
- Serve as Chemical Hygiene Officer for the Chicago facility with accountability for all related responsibilities.
- Manage the incidents, injuries, near-misses reporting system and ensure accurate and timely completion and reporting of incidents and injuries.
- Responsible for root cause analysis of injuries, incidents, and near misses as well as the implementation of effective corrective actions to address contributing factors.
- Work with employees, laboratory leadership and HR teams to implement initiatives designed to strengthen our ‘Safety First’ culture.
- Proactively identify and eliminate potential hazards in the laboratories.
- Manage safety committees and safety officer(s) at all sites.
- Perform regular internal audits at each laboratory location to ensure compliance and consistent application of safety policies.
- Manage applicable regulatory agency inspections.
- Oversee completion of laboratory department emergency response and fire drills at all sites.
- Develop, review, revise, and maintain laboratory department safety policies.
- Ensure proper use and disposal of chemicals and biohazardous materials comply with state and federal guidelines.
- Manage and coordinate hazardous waste disposal vendors.
- Ensure all required internal and external reports are submitted on time.
- Bachelor's degree in Occupational Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Natural Sciences or similar field required, Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred.
- Five to seven years’ experience in a clinical laboratory environment.
- Five to seven years’ experience implementing occupational safety programs with knowledge of state and federal safety regulations for laboratory work environments.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated a high degree of initiative, taking responsibility for personal actions, decisions, and results.
- Ability to write effectively, give clear and concise presentations, and conduct effective meetings.
- Commitment to, and instills commitment to, total quality excellence.
- Ability to travel on a monthly basis.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.