Manager, Molecular Operations - Second Shift
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
With the advent of genomic sequencing, we can finally decode and process our genetic makeup. We now have more data than ever before but providers don't have the infrastructure or expertise to make sense of said data. Here at Tempus, we believe the greatest promise for the detection and treatment of cancer lies in the deep understanding of molecular activity for disease initiation, progression, and efficacious treatment based on the discovery of unique biomarkers.
We're on a mission to connect an entire ecosystem to redefine how genomic data is used in clinical settings. We're looking to build a laboratory operations team who are passionate and focused on developing state of the art techniques for processing and creating and interpreting vast amounts of genomic and molecular data. You will collaborate with product, research, and business development teams to develop the most advanced sequencing platform in cancer care.
What you’ll do:
- Coordinate the operational activities of a cutting-edge clinical laboratory to support a molecular workflow with rapid turnaround times. This role primarily oversees infectious disease testing, but might also include oversight of next-generation sequencing workflows for oncology, pharmacogenetics, and inherited cancer panels
- Deliver regular updates to the Director, Clinical Lab Operations, to summarize laboratory performance, turnaround times, instrument downtime, productivity, and other performance metrics
- Oversee laboratory activity and participate in completion of daily activities as necessary
- Provide solutions to highly complex problems and apply a high degree of ingenuity, creativity and innovation
- Ensure high quality results for all samples within the sequencing workflow
- Reviews daily, weekly, and monthly QC results and determines the validity of results, performs follow up as needed
- Oversee safety within the laboratory and ensure all safety protocols are followed
- Maintain regulatory compliance within the lab, including CAP, CLIA, NYS, OSHA, etc
- Keep standard operating procedures up to date
- Develop and implement workflows for new assays
- Provides technical direction, mentoring, and professional guidance to laboratory employees
- Resolve technical, instrument, or unexpected tests results and ensures corrective actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
- Evaluate the competency of all testing personnel on an ongoing basis
- One of the following educational requirements:
- MD + at least 2 years lab experience
- PhD + at least 2 years lab experience
- M.S. (physical, chemical, or biological science) + at least 4 years pertinent clinical lab experience (at least 2 of which are in the designated specialty)
- BS in clinical laboratory science, chemical, physical or biological sciences and at least 7 years of pertinent clinical lab experience
- Experience supervising others in a CLIA/CAP high-complexity laboratory
- Experience in Next Generation Sequencing highly desirable
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to delegate tasks to others
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with others to plan and carry out scientific programs
- Self-driven and works well in an interdisciplinary team with minimal direction
- Strong desire to build products that will save lives and change the course of cancer
- Impeccable attention to detail
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.