Director / Senior Director, R&D Strategy and Operations
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
With the advent of genomic sequencing, we can finally decode and process our genetic makeup; however, computer technology has had limited impact in healthcare. With the expansion of multi-modal healthcare data and recent advancements in AI, that’s about to fundamentally change. Tempus is a healthcare technology company at the forefront of that change to leverage data to improve patient lives.
As a Director, R&D Strategy and Operations at Tempus, you’ll be on the front lines of our battle to develop and deliver cutting-edge, modern technology into the hands of clinicians. The clinical assays we're developing are the culmination of input from scientists, clinicians, pathologists, engineers, data scientists, and some of the top academic oncology centers in the world. We’re expanding the team who brings those inputs together to design, scope, and build solutions to some of the toughest problems in cancer care.
This candidate will report directly to our R&D Strategy and Operations leader and will be a core member of the team that drives the R&D / Scientific Roadmap at Tempus. This individual will be responsible for understanding and managing the breadth of R&D projects supporting our core verticals at Tempus, and should be able to understand all team interdependencies for our projects, inclusive of R&D, Commercial, Medical, and Product & Engineering. They will be responsible for helping the team drive toward successful program milestones and hitting aggressive timelines. They will be a trusted partner that helps to unblock R&D teams and facilitates communication regarding R&D priorities, goals, and progress.
- Manage the R&D teams supporting our business vertical, inclusives of Oncology, AI Applications, Trials and other emerging strategic priorities for the company
- Lead complex, cross-functional execution of key strategic R&D projects and see them through to completion with internal and external stakeholders
- Track progress against defined strategic objectives and goals; review progress/setbacks frequently with the broader Tempus team
- Enable R&D teams to hit meaningful goals and align with the organizational priorities, along with identifying and resolving bottlenecks
- Identify and realize opportunities to optimize strategic decision making and operations for the broader Tempus R&D organization
- Manage and continuously improve the Tempus R&D roadmap planning
- Proactive mindset; individual can operationalize implementable solutions, and can help move both internal and external stakeholders to quickly solve problems
- Must be flexible and resilient with the ability to execute on rapidly changing business priorities
- Ability to set strategies/tactics that are aggressive, but realizable
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills with the ability to distill complex issues and translate them into concrete action plans
- Ability to spin up quickly on topics in Precision Medicine, Genomics, and AI
- Proven ability to navigate multi-faceted organizations with repeated success
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in product, operations, or management consulting (or other team-based client-facing experience), including contributing to team projects and a track record of exceeding KPIs
- Bachelor’s degree in a Science or Business discipline; Advanced degree (MD, PhD, or Healthcare certification) desired
- Preferably 3+ years working in or with diagnostics, biopharma, and/or healthcare technology companies in Research & Development
- Previous work as a Project/Program lead for multiple high-level initiatives in Healthcare or AI fields
- Experience utilizing database and collaborative project management software (e.g., Coda.io, Confluence) is a plus, but not required
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Something looks off?