Senior Analyst, Portfolio Analytics
IT, Data Science
Mexico City, Mexico
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2023
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for five years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 7 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
We are seeking an experienced analyst who loves to innovate, optimize and improve the status quo, and find creative solutions to complex problems that undoubtedly lead to positive real-world impact. As a key member of Tala’s Finance Strategy team, you will utilize our large amount of data to analyze, model, and help us better understand our customers around the world. Partnering closely with our product, data science, and in-market teams, you will also own a rapidly growing codebase for Tala’s forecasting models and implement new functionality for the company at large to leverage. The results of the initiatives you lead will empower and amplify our team to achieve Tala’s mission of financial agency for all!
What you'll do:
- Understand the key drivers of the business (e.g. origination, repayment, conversion, unit economics/lifetime value of customer) and collaborate with cross-functional teams to align on defining/measuring the metrics that drive the business
- Utilize your understanding of these business levers to create more accurate forecasting models and inform critical business decisions such as marketing spend and credit approvals, allowing us to reach millions of more customers around the world.
- Be responsible for Finance’s codebase (python) including developing, maintaining, and optimizing code for Finance’s data and analytical models.
- Collaborate with Data and Engineering to build sustainable reporting to enable better and faster insights (e.g. custom analytics tools, dashboards, and financial reports); report on weekly / monthly operational, business and financial performance
- Provide customized dashboards and data analysis for drilling into important business metrics that impact company strategy
- Create sustainable, accurate, and timely reporting
- Automate processes in new and existing data infrastructure and models, balancing ease of maintenance and depth of analysis
- Create a rigorous analytical framework to ensure validity of analysis – back-testing, statistical significance, etc.
Who you are:
- You enjoy collecting and deciphering complex data, and are a highly innovative problem-solver
- You approach a problem from different perspectives and use your holistic understanding of the business to see new opportunities/risks
- You not only build complex models, but you’re able to distill key learnings and translate numbers into compelling and clear narratives
- A collaborative self-starter. You’re excited to pursue new initiatives and love to partner with cross-functional leads to move the business forward
- Passionate about social enterprise and find meaning in working to make the world a better place
- 1-4 years of relevant experience and BS in Data Science, Business Analytics, Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Finance, Economics, or related fields
- Strong analytical background with a proven ability to draw relevant and impactful conclusions from data.
- Object-oriented programming and scripting in python, including designing custom classes and libraries, writing scalable and well-documented code, as well as auditing and testing code.
- Knowledge of and experience working with relational databases and building complex queries in SQL (creating and updating tables, CTEs, multiple joins, etc.)
- Knowledge of and experience with reporting and data visualization packages (Looker, Tableau, Amplitude, Plotly, Bokeh).
- Strong communication skills with the ability to influence in an unstructured, cross-functional environment
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.