Position Type: Full-time salary
Location: Detroit, Michigan (4 days on-site)
Reports to: Accounting Manager
At Shinola, we make beautiful, enduring, handcrafted goods that are built to be lived in, worn out, and well-loved. Our thoughtful craftsmanship, timeless design, and spirited stories inspire our customers to live well, with confidence & joy—in a style that is uniquely their own! Because we are a growing and evolving company, each employee is a key stakeholder, making decisions every day that directly impact our overall vision and direction. At Shinola, you’ll have the opportunity to make a significant contribution at the start of what we believe will become an iconic American brand.
This position reports directly to the Accounting Manager for Shinola Detroit, LLC (“Shinola”) and will be responsible for performing complex accounting and analytical activities required to support the company’s Finance function. A successful candidate will possess excellent problem-solving skills geared toward finding efficiencies in day-to-day processes around month-end close and account reconciliations. A desirable candidate will also have proven experience working collaboratively on teams, presenting ad hoc analyses to leadership and members of other departments, and be comfortable working in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Shinola is a fast-paced, growing company so a candidate who can challenge current practices and make process improvements is essential. Strong communication skills are a must.
- Prepare complex account reconciliations on a monthly basis including but not limited to:
- Inventory and related reserves
- Allowances, returns, and other management estimates
- Sales reconciliations
- Revenue recognition
- Utilize our close management software to compile underlying support for account balances and documentation of workflow
- Review manufacturing and other COGS variances for margin “outliers”
- Work closely with the operations and inventory management team to compile and evaluate standard costs, inventory KPIs, and other financial metrics used to assess operational performance
- Prepare ad hoc reports and financial analyses including but not limited to:
- Budget to actual variances by department
- Expense line item drill-downs
- Store P&L and KPI analyses
- Meet individually with department leaders to review the results and provide insights
- Ensure timely completion of the annual 1099 filings
- Coordinate with other Bedrock finance teams to compile monthly collateral reporting for the bank
- Run point on audit PBC list compilation
- Prepare and send royalty reporting for all licensing partners
- This role may be responsible for reviewing the work of other, more junior, members of the team
- 3+ years of experience in Accounting or Audit
- BBA or other four-year degree in Finance/Accounting
- CPA preferred
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Dynamics AX
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Critical thinking
A sampling of Total Rewards Program:
- Compensation Type: Salary
- Compensation can be negotiated based on previous experience & qualifications
- STIP (short-term incentive plan) eligibility
- Paid Time-off:
- 10 Corporate Holidays
- 15 Vacation days (accrued)
- 2 Volunteer days
- Medical, dental & vision - click here to view our full package!
- 401k with company match
- Employee assistance program
- Pet Insurance
- Merchandise discounts
- Complimentary employee watch
- HR Phone Screening - 30 minutes via Microsoft Teams (camera off)
- Technical Interview with Hiring Manger - 1 hour via Microsoft Teams (camera on)
- Take home assignment - 30minutes -2 hours of work
- note: select positions may not require a case study assignment
- Final Interview with Panel - 1 hour via Microsoft Teams (camera on)
*The general hiring process can be found above, however, Shinola reserves the right to change the process as needed.
At Shinola, we're committed to growing and empowering an inclusive community within our company and industry. This is why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of the best and brightest from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives across our organization. Research shows that oftentimes women and other minority groups only apply to open roles if they meet 100% of the listed criteria. Shinola encourages everyone to apply for our available positions, even if they don't necessarily check every box on the job description.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned.
This job description does not constitute a contract of employment and Shinola may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.