Founded in 2010, Optoro is a fast-growing SaaS company headquartered in the heart of Washington, D.C. We are on a mission to revolutionize the retail industry by making every return simple and efficient through great technology, so that shopping can be easy and sustainable for everyone.
Our returns management system (RMS) is a cloud-based platform that spans the entire returns lifecycle — from initiation, return options, to processing, to restock, and ultimately resale. Our technology helps brands and third-party logistics (3PL) providers optimize and enhance one of the biggest headaches in retail…returns.
Our people are our greatest asset. We bring bold creativity and passion to maximize results, leverage our expertise and data insights to drive our decision-making, and work collaboratively with respect, integrity, and a growth mindset. Whether working with a team of colleagues or with clients, we foster a culture that celebrates our successes and learns from challenges, while having fun along the way.
The Assistant Controller leads the day-to-day activities of the accounting department and utilizes subject matter expertise in technical accounting to ensure the company’s books are closed accurately and on-time. The Assistant Controller will manage and mentor the team responsible for financial reporting, general ledger and payroll and will maintain a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and identify errors across the department. The Assistant Controller will report to the VP of Finance.
- Responsible for leading the day-to-day accounting functions, such as month-end close, preparation of financial statements, general ledger reconciliation, sales tax reporting, payroll processing and financial reporting.
- Ensure financial statements accurately reflect the Company’s financial position in accordance with Company procedures and GAAP.
- Play a key role in managing all external audits, including financial, tax, and regulatory, as necessary.
- Manage tax compliance including federal, state & local returns, income tax, property tax filings, and supervise the third-party tax return preparer.
- Assist in the maintenance of the general ledger, ensuring accurate recording of transactions, reconciliations, and supporting schedules
- Perform analytics over financial results to ensure accuracy with a key focus on control and compliance while addressing any new technical accounting requirements.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of accounting systems, software, and processes to streamline operations and enhance efficiency
- Monitor cash flow, manage working capital, and provide recommendations for optimizing financial resources
- Conduct ad hoc financial analyses and special projects as requested.
Process Improvement and Maintenance
- Play a key role in the development and implementation of our technology roadmap including business process transformation initiatives
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement focused on scaling the organization and automation to shorten the close cycle, reduce risk and improve decision making
- Manage and supervise accounting team members.
- Ensure the team has training and guidance to produce accurate monthly and yearly financial close packages.
- Guide the team’s day-to-day responsibilities and provide coaching and mentorship to direct reports.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting; or equivalent experience in a related field
- 3+ years of supervisory experience overseeing financial teams and systems
- 7+ years of technical accounting experience (Preferred areas of expertise: ASC 606, ASC 350-40 & ASC 842)
- Proven track record of consistently closing company books accurately and on-time
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and experience with financial reporting requirements
- Expertise in Excel
- Experience leading the creation and implementation of new accounting systems or processes
- Previous experience with Sage Intacct ERP and other accounting software systems
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to make specific recommendations that enhance the company’s overall objectives
- Effective leadership, mentoring, and talent development skills
- Team-oriented with excellent analytical, communication, and organizational skills
- A very high degree of personal integrity including the ability to manage sensitive and confidential information
- Located in the DC/Maryland/Virginia region
- Able to work out of Optoro's headquarters on a hybrid basis
- Experience at a B2B SaaS company
- Competitive base salary, benefits and equity plans
- Flexible paid time off
- Volunteer paid time off
- Perks for Parks Program
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Mental health and wellness benefits
- 401k match
- Sabbatical at 5 and 10 year anniversary
- Outside learning opportunities for career development
- Opportunity to work with people who are passionate about what they do and also like to have fun
Optoro is an equal opportunity employer.