Software Defined Radio (SDR) Engineer
Lynk is the only patented, proven, and commercially-operational satellite-direct-to-standard-phone (sat2phone) system in the world. We will enable all 8 billion people on the planet to stay connected with the existing standard phone in their pocket. Everywhere. No matter what.
By joining Lynk, you will have the opportunity to directly touch the lives of billions. Your mission will be to bring mobile broadband to billions, pull hundreds of millions out of poverty, and save countless lives.
Lynk is developing cellular-based space payloads and seeks engineers with expertise and experience developing and optimizing SDR based receivers and signal processors. Aspects of the position require and understanding of SDR and FPGA hardware, firmware, signal processing and algorithms, and software for both transmit and receive paths. The overall radio performance that we desire is enhanced by custom software that takes advantage of aspects of the protocol as well as the physical layer attributes.
Lynk is looking for an experienced SDR Engineer to support the development of SDRs for both its primary (payload) and secondary (TT&C/feeder link) radio functions using a proprietary protocol. The SDRs will initially be tested in a lab environment and then on the payload prototype in a lab environment that simulates orbit operations, and finally in space. The SDR Engineer will also be responsible for implementing methods for SDR data acquisition to ensure successful testing, verification, and validation.
We build spacecraft fast, so the perfect candidate for this role will have significant previous experience designing, developing, and testing many SDRs particularly on rapid timelines. They will also be able to take advantage of that the rapid cadence which creates frequent opportunities to validate and mature their work in a real space environment. We are looking for engineers that enjoy a challenge and have a track record of creative thinking to solve unconventional problems.
The SDR Engineer will be responsible for design, development, and testing of all SDR software including its FPGA and host interface. This includes:
- Evaluating SDRs for incorporation into our payload and spacecraft systems
- Understanding the hardware-based requirements of SDRs, e.g., FPGA size, speed, internal clock stability, I/O interfaces, sample rates, dynamic range, radio chip architecture, gains and filtering as the signal progresses within the SDR.
- Designing and evaluating DSP algorithms for satellite communication systems
- Updating or creating host interface software to interact with the SDRs
- Developing test software and drivers to support unit, integration, and system testing of all SDR software functions
- Writing this software in C, C++, or other languages in a Linux environment
- Working with other software team members to benchmark payload software applications
- Testing and validating hardware blocks both in simulation and on target
- Developing and maintaining documentation and ICDs for in-house IP blocks and other SDR related software
- A Master’s degree (or better) in Electrical/Computer Engineering or related field
- Excellent foundation in DSP and Communication Theory
- At least three years of recent experience working with SDRs
- In-depth knowledge of digital signal processing (DSP) algorithms and communication theory (e.g., filter design, clock recovery, signal detection, channel estimation and equalization)
- Experience with implementing DSP algorithms in C/C++
- Experience with device drivers
- Ability to create testbenches for benchmarking and testing
- Knowledge in PHY and MAC layers of cellular standards (e.g., GSM, LTE, 5G) is a plus.
- Experience with implementing DSP algorithms in FPGAs is a plus, but optional
- Experience using lab equipment for testing and validation
- Experience with evaluating SDR platforms and specifications