Data Product Manager - Commercial Insurance Marketing
The Highwing Data Product Manager will design and own Highwing’s Market Insights product. This includes analysis, data quality, fill rate, partnership opportunities, distribution, derived data, and more. Market Insights is a $4B+ book share that allows Commercial Insurance Carriers access to accounts across 11 of the top 100 broker books. You will be responsible for creating a marketing insights product that provides actionable data insight that allows Insurance distribution executives to drive profitable growth. You will also be responsible for establishing and nurturing partnerships, identifying impactful opportunities for applying data analytic and enrichment capabilities, and setting the vision and strategy for implementing these capabilities as a product within Highwing’s solution suite.
You will assist Sales and Customer Success with scope, prioritization, and product delivery, including managing feature definition, product adoption/onboarding, changes and enhancements, and identifying new implementation opportunities.
This involves gaining a comprehensive understanding of business priorities and needs, documenting current state processes, developing roadmaps that align with strategic objectives, and developing measurable ways to use the product(s) and data to drive business decision-making. We require analytical minds to craft and analyze key performance indicators to track value and usage to drive development strategy and prioritization. We expect you to be comfortable navigating ambiguity, adept at problem-solving, effective at communicating, and strong at critical and analytical thinking.
Your Work at Highwing
- Synthesize product vision, customer feedback, engineering, and design capabilities to define a shared vision roadmap, prioritize, and plan initiatives to create massive value through data analytics/engineering and subsequent integration of that analytics work into our user experience
- Engage with all levels across the enterprise
- Serve as a conduit of knowledge between functional and technical teams
- Communicate regularly with individuals both within and outside of our team
- Define metrics to quantify value and ideate to find new ways of delivering value with the product
- Develop plans for continuous service to support the implementation of products
- Take ownership of resolving any outages, including communication with stakeholders, management of resources, ensuring resolution, and continuous improvement.
- Source enrichment opportunities that add value and enhance the product experience for our end users.
- 4+ years of product management or distribution/business analyst experience within an Insurance Carrier
- Demonstrable project experience in the insurance data vertical, preferably within an Insurance Carrier in a distribution/business analyst role.
- Experience in working in partnership with a technical role, such as an engineer, developer, data scientist, etc.
- Experience working with 3rd party engineering managers and resources
- Experience leading cross-functional product/ project teams to execute and achieve success in complex and high-value deliverables
- Outstanding communication skills, including handling executive communication
- Experience productizing complex data products such as book analytics, trends, YoY analysis, etc.
- Experience developing data ETL solutions preferred
- Experience building, utilizing, or maintaining an enterprise data asset preferred
- Experience working with and executing SQL queries preferred
- Four-year degree (post-graduate), or equivalent work experience, preferably in Business / Finance or an analytical field such as Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science
Commercial insurance has trouble using its data, limiting its ability to compete effectively and grow profitably. Highwing helps insurance move faster and go further. Insurance is built from millions of individualized data points about customers, claims, costs, and more. Without these data points, calculating and transferring risk at scale wouldn't be possible. The problem is that data is highly fragmented. Rather than businesses being buoyed by this data, they are drowning in it because there are no easy, reliable connections between systems. Highwing is the first open data platform for Insurance brokers and carriers. Think of us as the digital nervous system for Insurance. We connect data both inside and outside our platform in order to bring efficiency to the procurement of insurance.
What’s it like to work at Highwing?
Our team is composed of experienced designers, engineers and entrepreneurs. We believe software development is a team sport, and the best products are built by teams with diverse backgrounds who are empowered with a high degree of autonomy. We strive for rapid iteration and continuous improvement in both our products themselves and our approaches to building them. We work at a sustainable pace and know from experience that building a lasting product organization is a marathon, not a sprint.
Our Core Values
We are playing a team sport.
Building a successful enterprise is a team effort. We compete against the bounds of what’s possible to deliver outstanding results for our clients. Teams thrive on unwavering support, respect, and openness – but not unconditional acceptance. Talented jerks have no place on a great team.
This is not a little kid’s soccer team.
We believe empowered teams are critical in not only maintaining happy, productive people, but also in building impactful, innovative products. So we don’t all swarm to the ball. We hire intelligent, diligent, passionate people who are capable of operating in large, sometimes ambiguous problem spaces with a great deal of freedom and decision-making authority. In exchange, we expect everyone to dig in, have an owner’s mindset, learn deeply about the space and take initiative every day to see complex initiatives to completion.
We thrive on driving change
Our technology, our industry, and our clients are always in a constant state of flux. We must regularly evolve with them, or we will quickly fall behind. We approach every problem with a beginner’s mind. We look to improve every part of what we do, every day – from our product to our process and beyond. We always strive to give and receive feedback, even when it is difficult. And we allocate time specifically for learning and reflection, so we can avoid our failures and replicate our successes.
Having a stake in the business is about more than just equity.
We believe the best way to give people a stake in the business is to give them full visibility into it. That’s why we share everything transparently, from ongoing client meetings and project statuses to project financials. This allows everyone to see the work they’re doing and understand how that work ladders up, connects, and impacts the business. This complete context enables better collaboration, more autonomy, and faster improvement.
We earn our partners’ trust anew every day.
Our partners trust us with some of their most valuable and sensitive assets. We treat these assets with the utmost respect and care, as if they were our own. We are experts in their world, and use this knowledge to build relationships with a consultative approach. In each and every decision and action, we demonstrate why we deserve to have their trust.
Highwing Benefits Overview
Comprehensive insurance: We provide comprehensive employee and family health insurance and ancillary benefits (life insurance, disability, and more).
Learning & development stipend: We believe in continuous improvement (see above) - this includes you as a person and as a professional. That’s why we provide an annual learning and development stipend that you can use however you see fit to further develop as a professional in your area of expertise or the insurance industry as a whole. Attend conferences, read books, take online learning courses, and more!
Time off to recharge: We have a generous paid time off policy - take what you need when you need it. And when we say time off - we really mean time off - don’t check your emails, don’t reply to Slack. Relax and recharge.
Remote work: We are a fully-distributed team and are committed to staying remote for the long term. While we love collaborating in person (and the impromptu happy hours and lunch chats that ensue), we understand that synchronous collaboration and independent, focused time are both crucial to the work we do. We’ve built our team meetings and processes to support you to work your best wherever you see fit whenever you see fit.