Flight Test Technician
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2023
Hermeus is an aerospace and defense technology company founded to radically accelerate air travel by delivering hypersonic aircraft. The company aims to develop hypersonic aircraft quickly and cost-effectively by integrating hardware-rich, iterative development with modern computing and autonomy. This approach has been validated through design, build, and test of the company’s first combined turbojet-ramjet engine and is now being scaled through its first flight vehicle program, Quarterhorse. Hermeus is also developing Darkhorse — an uncrewed hypersonic aircraft designed to deliver unique asymmetric capabilities to the warfighter.
At Hermeus, we are constantly iterating and integrating. We test early and often to minimize technical and program risk. We build the test campaigns that support our full range of test programs spanning development, operational and certification testing.
Hermeus is seeking a skilled Flight Test Technician to join our growing team. As a Flight Test Technician, you will be responsible for the testing and validation of aircraft systems, ensuring their performance and safety. This position will collaborate with engineers and pilots to execute flight test plans, collect data, and contribute to the development of cutting-edge aerospace technologies.
What You’ll Do as a Flight Test Technician
- Assist in the preparation, execution, and post-flight analysis of aerospace systems tests, including structure, landing gear, flight surfaces, anti-icing, engines, and more.
- Troubleshoot and repair typical aircraft systems (may specialize in structural, precision, or engine repair).
- Record and analyze flight test data, ensuring accuracy and completeness for engineering evaluation.
- Conduct various inspections and tests on jet engines and components.
- Conduct maintenance and repairs on aircraft components and test equipment using various tools and equipment to ensure operational safety and efficiency.
- Adhere to strict safety protocols during flight test operations, prioritizing the well-being of the team and equipment.
- Maintain comprehensive records of flight test procedures, results, and any system modifications for analysis and future reference.
- Interpret maintenance manuals, service bulletins, and technical data for repairs.
- Complete aircraft maintenance forms and data entries with accuracy.
- Work closely with engineers, pilots, and other team members to provide technical support and contribute to continuous improvement initiatives.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area, following FOD (Foreign Object Debris) and Tool Control processes.
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of maintenance methods.
- Manage unforeseen circumstances and emergency situations, expedite urgent tasks, and adapt to shifting priorities and responsibilities as needed.
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in aviation maintenance with fixed-wing aircraft, within the past six (6) years.
- Valid A&P License.
- Working knowledge of aircraft systems and associated principles, flight test equipment, troubleshooting, and data collection tools.
- Familiarity with aviation regulations, safety standards, and technical data interpretation.
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to collaborate within a team and provide clear and concise technical reports.
- Proficiency in using common hand tools, measuring devices, and test equipment.
- Ability to adapt and work in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment.
- Maintain a positive attitude when encountering challenging problems.
- Ability to perform aircraft run/taxi.
- Ability to work any shift as required for repair or flight testing aircraft.
- Willing to travel to remote locations and countries for maintenance work.
- Ability to travel to support ground and flight test campaigns up to 50% of the time as needed.
- Additional coursework or training in aviation maintenance or aerospace technology.
- Understanding of Quality Control, Production, and Supply procedures.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Safety is paramount, with stringent protocols ensuring a secure workplace. Collaboration is key, providing opportunities to work closely with a skilled team dedicated to innovation. Additionally, the role involves occasional heavy lifting, requiring the ability to climb, lift, and carry objects up to 50 lbs. unassisted, and often using mechanical devices. This position may also require the ability to stand for extended periods of time (8 hours or more); ability to perform manual movement tasks; ability to work in various environments, including hangars, outdoors, and in extreme weather conditions; ability to stoop, bend, crawl, and maneuver in tight spaces; ability to conduct repetitive movements, bending or twisting, using hands to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls; exposure to sounds and noise levels that may be distracting.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.