Principal Dynamics Engineer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
Hermeus is seeking a highly experienced Principal Dynamics Engineer to join our Flight Sciences Team. In this pivotal role, you will lead the analysis, modeling, and optimization of dynamic systems for our high-speed aircraft projects. You will set the direction for our flight sciences endeavors and provide mentorship to junior engineers.
- Dynamic Systems Leadership:
- Lead the analysis, modeling, and optimization of dynamic systems for aerospace applications, including aircraft flight dynamics, control systems, and structural dynamics.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define project requirements and objectives.
- Advanced Analysis and Simulation:
- Conduct advanced dynamic analysis, employing state-of-the-art modeling and simulation tools to validate and optimize system designs.
- Drive innovation and efficiency in dynamic systems.
- Testing and Prototyping Oversight:
- Oversee the design, prototyping, and testing of dynamic systems to validate performance, reliability, and safety.
- Plan and execute tests, analyze results, and drive design improvements.
- Materials and Manufacturing Expertise:
- Leverage deep materials knowledge to select the most suitable materials, components, and manufacturing processes for dynamic systems.
- Foster strong relationships with suppliers to ensure high-quality production.
- Documentation and Reporting Mastery:
- Maintain detailed documentation of design specifications, test results, and performance data.
- Produce comprehensive reports and presentations for internal and external stakeholders.
- Mentorship and Collaboration:
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior engineers, nurturing their professional growth.
- Promote teamwork and knowledge sharing within the Flight Sciences Team.
- Innovation and Research Contributions:
- Stay at the forefront of industry advancements and emerging technologies in dynamic systems and aerospace technology.
- Lead research and development efforts, contributing to the advancement of aerospace science.
- Bachelor's, Master's or Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in dynamic systems engineering, with a focus on aerospace or a related industry.
- Extensive expertise in aircraft flight dynamics, control systems, and structural dynamics.
- Proven experience with advanced modeling and simulation tools for dynamic systems.
- Strong background in dynamic systems testing, analysis, and prototyping.
- Outstanding problem-solving, analytical, and critical-thinking skills.
- Exceptional communication and collaboration abilities.
- Previous project management experience is highly desirable.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.