Senior Fluid Systems Engineer
Atlanta, GA, USA · Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Fluid Systems Engineer to join our dynamic team and contribute to the development of the next generation of hypersonic vehicles. As a Senior Fluid Systems Engineer at Hermeus, you will play a pivotal role in designing, analyzing, and testing fluid systems for our hypersonic vehicles. You will collaborate closely with a multidisciplinary team of engineers to ensure the safe and efficient operation of our cutting-edge propulsion and thermal management systems. This position offers a unique opportunity to work on groundbreaking technology in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Lead the design and analysis of fluid systems, including propulsion, thermal management, and fluid components for hypersonic vehicles.
- Perform fluids system sizing analysis to determine basic system requirements
- Transform system requirements into hardware concepts and trade implementation and architecture options
- Conduct performance analyses, and optimization studies to ensure the efficiency and reliability of fluid systems.
- Perform experimental testing and validation of fluid system components and configurations.
- Coordinate and execute development, qualification, and acceptance testing of flight hardware.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior engineers in the fluid systems team.
- Participate in design reviews, risk assessments, and problem-solving sessions to ensure project success.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in fluid systems engineering, hypersonic or supersonic systems or rocketry preferred.
- Strong knowledge of fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and mechanical design.
- Experience with fluid systems and fluid component design, analysis, and testing.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Strong communication and leadership skills.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.