Principal Aerodynamics Engineer - LA
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
We are seeking a highly experienced and talented Principal Aerodynamics Engineer to lead our aerodynamics team in the development of advanced hypersonic vehicles. As a Principal Aerodynamics Engineer at Hermeus, you will play a key role in designing, analyzing, and optimizing the aerodynamic performance of our hypersonic vehicles. In addition to your technical expertise, you will also take on a mentorship role, guiding and developing a team of engineers to reach their full potential.
The Opportunity and How You'll Impact Hermeus:
- Lead and manage the aerodynamics team in the design, analysis, and optimization of hypersonic vehicle configurations.
- Conduct detailed aerodynamic analyses, simulations, and testing to ensure optimal vehicle performance and stability during hypersonic flight.
- Collaborate closely with multidisciplinary teams including propulsion, structures, and thermal engineers to ensure integrated vehicle design and performance.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior engineers, fostering their growth and development within the organization.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in aerodynamics and hypersonic technology, and apply this knowledge to enhance the company's capabilities.
- Utilize your aerodynamics experience and expertise to drive vehicle trades
- Develop tools for rapid design iteration
- Understand when to deploy relevant levels of analysis fidelity for different situations
- Support a vehicle program from initial design through flight test
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- 7-10+ years of experience in aerodynamics analysis, design, and test
- Significant contributor to flight vehicle program
- Experience supporting wind tunnel testing.
- Strong proficiency in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) tools and software.
- Proven track record of successful aerodynamic design and analysis in hypersonic or high-speed flight applications.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to guide and mentor junior engineers.
- Innovative mindset with the ability to think creatively and solve complex engineering challenges.
- Knowledge of industry standards and best practices in hypersonic aerodynamics.
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field.
- Previous experience in mentoring or leading a team of engineers.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements and certification processes for aerospace vehicles.
- Publications or contributions to the field of hypersonic aerodynamics.
- Opportunity to shape the future of high-speed travel and aerospace technology.
- Collaborative and dynamic work environment with a team of industry experts.
- Competitive compensation package, including benefits and stock options.
- Access to cutting-edge technologies and resources to drive innovation.
- Chance to mentor and guide the next generation of aerospace engineers.
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.