Senior Thermal Engineer - Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
Hermeus is seeking a Thermal Engineer to support the development of our hypersonic aircraft programs. This individual will work closely with the thermal team, and interface with the fluids systems, propulsion, and structures teams. Main lines of effort include development of thermal control systems (TCS), characterization of thermal loads and environments at the vehicle, sub-system, and component levels, and development and validation of methodologies and procedures for thermal analysis.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, mathematics, or physics
- Solid understanding of first principles of heat transfer, thermodynamics, thermal loads to structures
- 5+ years of experience in thermal systems (e.g., aircraft, mission systems, turbomachinery, nuclear thermal hydraulics, automotive, launch vehicles, reentry vehicles)
- Computer literacy including programming (Python preferable), use and customization of engineering simulation and CAE software
About the Role:
- The candidate will support one or more of the following:
- Characterization of vehicle, sub-system and component level energy balance, thermal protection systems (TPS) to meet capability limits at steady state and during transient missions
- Design thermal control systems (TCS) to a conceptual level, plan testing, and assist in hardware design to detail level
- Design thermodynamic cycles, design or assist in sizing, design and testing of related hardware, and integration of COTS hardware
- Strong interest in high-speed air breathing vehicles cooling
- Highly collaborative, thrive in small teams, high energy work environment
- Master or Doctorate degree in engineering, mathematics, or physics
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.
See more open positions at Hermeus
Something looks off?