Senior Components Responsible Engineer - Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
The Component Responsible Engineer role is responsible for system scoping, clean sheet design, development, and production start of flight valves and actuators integrated into engine and vehicle systems. This highly interdisciplinary role requires strong first principles in mechanics, fluids, thermal, manufacturing; strong ability to communicate requirements in a rapidly changing environment; and the drive to rapidly and safely create novel and cutting-edge hardware to accelerate the future of hypersonic travel.
Responsibilities and Outcomes:
- Fully own critical flight hardware
- Work with system owners to architect and place components within systems
- Component level architecture and sizing
- Component design, analysis, development testing, qualification, production introduction
- Scope vehicle level operational methods and limits to ensure reliability and personnel safety through all phases of production and operation
- Making risk conscious decisions aligned with program posture
- Prioritize broad work scope to meet top company objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline (mechanical, aerospace, physics, materials, etc.)
- Experience using CAD to design parts and assemblies
- 3+ years of Engineering, competition team, applied research experience related to fluid or engine systems
- Passion for hardware design and development
- Willingness to travel to support of hardware and flight tests
- Willingness to work extended hours and weekends as needed
Beneficial to Have:
- Master’s degree in engineering discipline (mechanical, aerospace, physics, materials, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience developing hardware from concept to production
- Proficiency in compressible and incompressible flow, thermodynamics, mechanics, and materials
- Strong knowledge of GD&T and stack-up analysis
- Script programming experience (Python, Matlab, Excel, VBA, etc.)
- Pressurized fluid components experience such as solenoids, regulators, throttle valves, relief valves, linear and rotary actuators.
- Ability to execute in a scrappy, entrepreneurial manner with tight timelines.
- Professional experience using Siemens NX/Teamcenter and ANSYS
- Great attitude in the face of extreme challenges
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.
See more open positions at Hermeus
Something looks off?