Principal Structural Engineer (Airframe)
Atlanta, GA, USA
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2023
Hermeus is a startup developing hypersonic aircraft to radically accelerate air travel. At Mach 5, more than twice the speed of the supersonic Concorde, passengers will be able to cross the Atlantic in 90 minutes. On the path to hypersonic passenger aircraft, Hermeus is partnering with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges. These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft. Hypersonic aircraft have the potential to create trillions of dollars of new global economic growth per year, unlocking significant resources that can be utilized to solve the world’s greatest problems.
A principal structural engineer on the structural engineering team is responsible for the development, design, analysis, test, and lifecycle of the airframe and its components on the Hermeus hypersonic vehicles.
The Opportunity and How You'll Impact Hermeus:
- Lead the design, analysis, and optimization of airframe structures for hypersonic aircraft
- Develop and analyze airframe structural concepts, materials, and manufacturing methods
- Collaborate with other engineers and cross-functional teams to ensure the airframe design meets performance and safety requirements
- Conduct trade studies and make recommendations for material selection and structural configuration based on performance, weight, and cost
- Develop and implement structural testing plans, including static, dynamic, and fatigue testing
- Analyze and interpret test results and provide recommendations for design improvements
- Ensure compliance with industry standards and regulations
- Provide technical support during manufacturing and assembly
- Hold design reviews and provide technical guidance and recommendations to other team members
- Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field
- 8+ years of experience in airframe structural design, analysis, and optimization for aircraft or spacecraft
- Experience with CAD software(NX), FEA (Nastran and Femap) and other engineering analysis tools
- Familiarity with metallic high strength alloys and manufacturing techniques
- Strong knowledge of aerospace materials, structures, and systems
We encourage you to apply even if you have skillsets and experience outside of our current needs as we're always open to connect and discuss future opportunities.