Senior Test Engineer
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
Location: Long Beach, CA
Working arrangement: Hybrid (4 days/week in the office)
In this role, you will:
Define and execute experimental testing of components fueled by concentrated solar power and perform system level testing and analysis of plant operations under various operating conditions. Use the results of this testing to guide equipment R&D, validate numerical models, and ultimately inform business decisions for future commercial contracts.
This position is primarily responsible for executing testing relating to thermal systems and solar calciner development, but will also regularly interface with heliostat engineering, software development, and plant operations to complete testing campaigns. You will also interface with external partners to conduct or support experimental testing at national labs, private institutions, and other locations.
- Test support – Interface with other scientists, engineers, and field personnel to support the execution of on-sun testing, validating test results against process analysis and simulations
- Mechanical design – Support the analysis and design of custom equipment like heat exchangers, piping, valves, and structural steel equipment support frames
- Equipment performance and process optimization – Integrate test data analysis into design iterations as equipment is scaled up, optimizing for performance, capital cost, and operating cost
- Thermal analysis – Consider heat transfer, material properties, and service limits in the design of equipment exposed to high temperature and thermal cycling
- Materials of construction selection – Consider service conditions for the selection of metal alloys and refractory ceramic materials to meet performance requirements
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering + minimum of 5 years work experience that includes hands-on equipment design and fabrication, installation in plant environments, and performance testing
- Familiarity scaling from test equipment to commercially relevant size
- Proficient in 3D CAD design software (Solidworks) and manufacturing/construction drawings
- Passion for working in a fast-paced startup environment with a focus on innovation
- Strong organizational ability, including formulation of project goals, deliverables, and timeline for execution
- Using thermodynamics and transport analysis fundamentals to study problems in fluid mechanics and heat transfer
- Experience with high temperature materials, including high-nickel alloys and ceramics
- Experience in FEA for structural analysis of components, especially regarding thermal expansion and thermal stress at high temperatures
- Vendor management, including equipment suppliers, raw material suppliers, fabricators and construction contractors
- Experience creating Labview projects and troubleshooting equipment and preforming system tests
- Experience with solids handling equipment
- Hands-on laboratory experience
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.