Project Field Engineer
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
Heliogen is looking for a Project Field Engineer. The Project Field Engineer will report to the Construction Manager and is responsible for supporting and overseeing fabrication and on-site construction activities for Heliogen projects in the Southwest US. Initially you will be responsible for supporting our Concentrated Solar Thermal plant construction in Plains, TX. You will be responsible for ensuring that the project is safely executed on time, on budget, and to our quality standards.
As a Heliogen Project Field Engineer, you take projects from start to finish, work with all internal and external team members to solve problems, and aggressively address obstacles blocking project success. You are experienced in typical construction practices such as project management, labor management, scheduling, and safety best practices. You enjoying working as part of a high performing team.
In this role, you will:
- Ensures assigned construction operations and contractor performance are in compliance with contracts, specifications, and within approved schedule and budget
- Support Engineering team by providing engineering assistance to field personnel and lead expedition of Requests for Information and help interpret engineering drawings
- Support Procurement team in quality verification of materials and equipment, assuring they meet design requirements, and confirm proper warehousing and storage exists to ensure environmental protection
- Stewards any design changes of temporary and permanent construction facilities and ensures preparation of “as built” drawings and other affected documentation.
- Reviews specifications, purchase orders, subcontracts, inspection reports, delivery schedules, instruction manuals and technical data.
- Supervises subcontractor work efforts and administers routine subcontract changes and interfaces with client personnel. May represent the company in contractual discussions and negotiations.
- Reviews and provides input on the preparation of construction estimates, cost engineering studies, schedules, and budgets
- Coordinates the interfacing between the construction plan and the project controls program at the jobsite, including progress updates relating to cost and schedule
- Coordination with local utility companies for power, water, internet, etc. as needed to support construction and operation of the facility
- Leads coordination with local AHJ for any required operational or occupancy permits
- Willingness to travel 75-100% of time to project location in Plains, TX
- Bachelor's degree in relevant accredited technical discipline and a minimum of 3-5 years of relevant experience or 8-10 years of relevant work experience in lieu of a degree
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in construction management
- Knowledge of supervisory functions relating to construction field activities
- Excellent communication skills and understanding of construction sequencing
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite tools and familiar with Primavera P6
- Effective time management and multi-taskings skills; addresses all tasks with a sense of urgency
- Demonstrated commitment to Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H)
- Technical knowledge of a specialized engineering discipline, cost, scheduling and/or contracts administration relating to the construction of heavy industrial or commercial complexes.
- Prior experience supervising and administering subcontractors
- Prior experience working for or managing a General Construction Contractor or EPC
- Knowledge of the use of subcontracts; knowledge of the contractor/ subcontractor’s responsibilities contained in subcontract documents.
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.