Senior Mechanical Engineer (Static Equipment & Piping) - Projects
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
The Mechanical Engineer (Static Equipment and Piping) will play an integral part of the projects team to support the design of Heliogen’s facilities. You will work with the Engineering and Projects teams to design a functional and optimized operating facility.
This is a hybrid role with 3 days in our Houston, TX or Pasadena, CA office with occasional travel to our project sites.
In this role, you will:
Broadly, the static mechanical and piping engineer will work independently and collaborate with engineering firms to design a functional and optimized operating facility. Specific activities may include:
- Oversees activities pertaining to static mechanical equipment and piping through the full life cycle of a project, with emphasis on early stage and conceptual project development
- Prepares equipment or work specifications, material requisition, bid evaluations, and award recommendations for static mechanical equipment and piping
- Develop design of piping systems and equipment layouts including concept sketches and plot plants with engineering (CAD/etc.) tools.
- Conducts reviews of vendor drawings, calculations, and other documentation.
- Interface with other discipline engineers to develop interdisciplinary drawings and specifications.
- Coordinates static mechanical and piping equipment engineering work between different engineering groups, clients, suppliers, and contractors.
- Design scoping and value engineering opportunities.
- Site visits may be required (~25% of time)
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- 7 – 10 years’ experience preparing and checking the design of static mechanical equipment and piping.
- In depth knowledge of static mechanical equipment (drums, vessels, internals, storage tanks) and piping
- Experience with pipe stress analysis and design
- Experienced with industry or regulatory codes and standards and design criteria pertinent to static mechanical equipment, such as ASME codes and API standards (esp. ASME Section I and VIII, API 650/620, API 579)
- Experienced with field operation, installation, and commissioning activities for static mechanical equipment and piping
- Experience participating in model reviews and equipment walkdown with vendors.
- Understanding of plant design & piping and the use of industry standard 2D and 3D design tools
- Communicate effectively with the project engineering team and project stakeholders, including customers.
- Proactively resolve any discrepancies in design requirement and able to meet the project schedule
- Ability to creatively problem solve
- Excellent technical and analytical skills, familiar with industrial site design.
- Proven ability to provide static mechanical and piping engineering support for large projects
- Professional Engineering license
- Experience in power, oil & gas, or industrial projects
- Previous experience with concentrating solar energy processes
- Experience at an operating industrial facility
- Experience with the design of heat exchangers and HTRI
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.