Senior Supplier Development Engineer
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
Supplier Development Engineering is an inclusive, multi-disciplinary team committed to enabling high-volume, high-quality, and low-cost Heliostats and other Heliogen products. We are looking for a Senior Supplier Development Engineer to apply their technical expertise to help elevate the capabilities of Heliogen’s Supply Chain and raise the bar for modern component manufacturing. This role will be responsible for supporting product and process development through collaboration with Heliogen design, manufacturing, and reliability teams as well as a wide variety of supply chain partners. Using your communication and data analysis skills, you will inform design decisions, leverage, and improve supplier capabilities, and enable the successful introduction of innovative products and technologies that help decarbonize industry and empower a sustainable civilization.
In this role, you will:
- Develop and implement supplier development strategies: The senior supplier development engineer will develop and implement supplier development strategies to improve the quality, delivery, and cost performance of the company's supply chain, with a particular focus on electro-mechanical commodities. They will work closely with cross-functional teams to identify opportunities for process improvement, cost reduction, and value engineering, and develop supplier improvement plans to drive these initiatives.
- Evaluate and select suppliers: The senior supplier development engineer will evaluate and select suppliers based on their technical capabilities, quality performance, delivery performance, and cost competitiveness for electro-mechanical commodities. They will work closely with cross-functional teams to define supplier selection criteria, develop supplier evaluation scorecards, and conduct supplier audits to ensure compliance with the company's quality and performance standards.
- Monitor supplier performance: The senior supplier development engineer will monitor supplier performance and take corrective action as needed to ensure suppliers meet the company's expectations for quality, delivery, and cost for electro-mechanical commodities. They will work closely with cross-functional teams to identify areas for improvement, implement corrective actions, and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- Drive cost reduction initiatives: The senior supplier development engineer will drive cost reduction initiatives through value engineering, process improvement, and supplier negotiations for electro-mechanical commodities. They will work closely with cross-functional teams to identify cost drivers, evaluate supplier proposals, negotiate prices, and develop cost reduction projects that meet the company's quality and performance standards. They will also use Apriori software to run should-cost estimates for new designs and identify cost-saving opportunities.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams: The senior supplier development engineer will collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure alignment on supplier development strategies, supplier selection criteria, and supplier performance expectations for electro-mechanical commodities. They will work closely with engineering, operations, and quality teams to ensure suppliers meet the company's technical requirements, quality standards, and delivery expectations.
- Build and maintain supplier relationships: The senior supplier development engineer will build and maintain strong relationships with key suppliers of electro-mechanical commodities to promote collaboration, innovation, and long-term partnerships. They will work closely with suppliers to understand their technical capabilities, cost structure, and growth plans, and identify opportunities to align their interests with the company's strategic objectives.
- Proficient in GD&T: The senior supplier development engineer will be highly proficient in Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and work closely with internal design engineering teams to understand the technical requirements for electro-mechanical commodities. They will work with suppliers to ensure their manufacturing processes can meet these requirements and help resolve any technical issues that arise during the development and production phases.
Overall, a senior supplier development engineer plays a critical role in driving supplier performance, cost reduction, and process improvement initiatives in the concentrated solar industry, particularly with regard to electro-mechanical commodities. They use their technical expertise, analytical skills, and collaborative approach to develop supplier development strategies, evaluate, and select suppliers, monitor supplier performance, and drive cost reduction initiatives that improve the company's competitiveness and profitability. Familiarity with Apriori software is a plus, as it can help the senior supplier development engineer identify cost-saving opportunities and drive greater value for the company.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, supply chain, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in supplier development, procurement, or a related field, with a focus on electro-mechanical commodities
- Strong technical knowledge of manufacturing processes and cost drivers for electro-mechanical commodities
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams to drive cost reduction and process improvement initiatives
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and analytical skills
- Familiarity with Apriori software is a plus
Salary: California only full-time salary range between $104,000-180,000 (senior - senior staff) + equity + benefits.
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.