Senior Process Engineer (Projects)
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
The Senior Process Engineer will play an integral part of the projects team. The Senior Process Engineer will report to the Process, Instrumentation & Controls, and Electrical Engineering Manager to support the design and construction of Heliogen’s facilities. You will work with the Project and Engineering teams to design a functional and optimized operating facility.
Location: Houston, Texas or Pasadena, California
Working arrangement: Hybrid (3 days/week in the office)
In this role, you will:
Broadly, the process engineer will work independently and collaborate with engineering firms to design a functional and optimized operating facility. Specific activities may include:
- Oversee projects through the full life cycle
- Develop process simulations, heat and material balances, process flow diagrams, process and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) and other deliverables to support pre-FEED and FEED studies.
- Utilize industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout the project. Familiar with process industry practices (PIP) design standards and perform equipment and system line sizing according to client or PIP design standards.
- Generate equipment list, line list, equipment and instrumentation datasheets.
- Review and approval of engineering contractor deliverables such as equipment designs, specifications, functionality, etc.
- Design scoping and optimization evaluations
- Steady state process modeling using platforms such as Hysys, Aspen, PROII
- Perform or participate in process and reliability risk and safety assessments
- Utilize industry best practices, techniques, and standards throughout the project
- Site visits may be required (~25% of time)
- Work package technical review to support safe and reliable construction, start-up, and commissioning
- BS in process, chemical, or mechanical engineering.
- 8+ years' experience as a process engineer designing, operating, optimizing industrial process facility.
- Ability to effectively communicate with team members, project stakeholders, including customers
- Proactively resolve any discrepancies in design requirement and able to meet the project schedule
- Ability to creatively problem solve
- Excellent technical and analytical skills, familiar with steam process
- Strong interpersonal skills and resourceful
- Proven ability to provide process and/or mechanical engineering support for large projects
- CA or TX Professional Engineering license
- Experience in power, oil & gas, or industrial process projects
- Previous experience with concentrating solar energy processes
- Experience in non-conventional heat transfer
- Experience at an operating facility
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.