Payment operations - senior manager
Hi, we’re Griffin! We’re the bank for companies who want to build and launch financial products.
We're rapidly heading towards a future where most of us access financial services through technology companies rather than high street banks. All sorts of companies are now embedding financial products into their apps and user journeys so that their customers can seamlessly make payments, manage expenses, take out loans, save, invest, and do more.
The problem is that companies are still dependent on legacy banking infrastructure if they want to offer regulated financial products. They need to either partner directly with an (slow-moving, risk-averse) incumbent bank and/or stitch together middleware from various Banking as a Service (BaaS) providers. This process is slow, expensive, and complex and makes it very hard for companies to get new financial products off the ground.
At Griffin, we want to change this.
We want to make it easy for companies to bring finance to their customers at the point of greatest relevance. So, we built a bank.
But not just any bank! Griffin is a technology platform and a bank: fully regulated, API-first, developer-centric, and purpose-built to serve innovative fintechs and brands who want to build and embed financial products.
Our culture is our most important asset, and one of the ways we safeguard it is by being extremely intentional about hiring the right people. We won't hire people who don’t seem like a strong fit for our core values, even if they're otherwise extremely qualified.
We also believe that smart, motivated, conscientious people thrive in high-trust, high-autonomy environments. That’s why we’re transparent by default, and we encourage open discussion and challenge across all levels of the organisation. We’re also remote-first, asynchronous, and fully flexible - because you're the expert on how and when you do your best work.
What will you be doing here?
You will be reporting to the Head of Banking Ops and collaborating closely with product, compliance, and the wider Griffin teams to ensure our customers receive outstanding outcomes. We are fervent believers in eradicating unnecessary manual effort. You will be encouraged to automate any process where human intervention does not yield a better result.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the payment operations team is all aspects of delivery. You will shape and support the careers of all team members and ensure appropriate allocation of time and effort to support your identified priorities.
- Developing the payment operations capabilities, processes, and standards that underpin the delivery of exceptional services to our customers.
- Working closely with product and engineering partners to introduce meaningful improvements. Focusing on translation of strategic direction into robust, efficient operations.
- Developing operational insights to our payments products and processes, to inform our payments strategy.
- Through governance and use management information, you will maintain a consistently high level of performance across all payment operations teams. You will be the accountable owner of all first line payment operations and support the second line with assurance.
- Proactively managing team capacity and resilience, ensuring that we have the appropriate people and capabilities to manage our payments, resolve exceptions and ensure the ongoing integrity of our finances and services.
Who are you
As a leader of our payment operations teams, you will foster creativity to develop more effective methods of serving our customers. Your proactive and inquisitive nature encourages us to make incremental improvements daily, shaping intelligent operations for the future.
You will have most of the following:
- Experience developing operational strategy, implementing new payment products and supporting a superior customer experience.
- Hands-on experience with UK Payment schemes (FPS, BACS or CHAPS). You will be accountable for all aspects of our payments capabilities on a day to day basis.
- Demonstrable experience of solving complex problems at scale, developing timely and scalable solutions.
- Empathy. A strong desire to ensure genuine support for our customers; you will also be an exemplar for the rest of the payment operations team.
- A data-informed approach where MI is developed as a tool to communicate, govern and prioritise, not just tick a box.
Nice to haves
We’d be thrilled if you also have experience delivering complex projects or organisational transformation.
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future.
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave with up to 6 months at full pay
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by Vitality and AIG respectively)
How do I apply?
Are we your next move? Apply via the link below, if there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail.
N.B: We have a small London office in Moorgate, and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based within occasional commuting distance of London, the other half is full-time remote.
Our goal is for Griffin to proportionally represent the diversity of the working population in society. We’re working to ensure that Griffin is a supportive, empowering and inclusive environment for every member of our team — whatever your combination of race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, neurodiversity, and religious beliefs. If you’re part of a group that is under-represented in fintech, we’d love to hear from you
Griffin Bank Ltd request that recruitment agencies do not speculatively submit CVs to any employee or associate of our company unless explicitly asked to do so by a member of our Talent team.
Any CVs sent to any member of our team on a speculative basis will not be recognised and we will not accept liability for any fee or commission should we subsequently employ a candidate who applied to us directly or was introduced by an instructed agency that may also have been submitted speculatively by an uninstructed agency.