Hi, we’re Griffin! We’re the bank for companies who want to build and launch financial products.
We're rapidly heading towards a future where most of us access financial services through technology companies rather than high street banks. All sorts of companies are now embedding financial products into their apps and user journeys so that their customers can seamlessly make payments, manage expenses, take out loans, save, invest, and do more.
The problem is that companies are still dependent on legacy banking infrastructure if they want to offer regulated financial products. They need to either partner directly with an (slow-moving, risk-averse) incumbent bank and/or stitch together middleware from various Banking as a Service (BaaS) providers. This process is slow, expensive, and complex and makes it very hard for companies to get new financial products off the ground.
At Griffin, we want to change this.
We want to make it easy for companies to bring finance to their customers at the point of greatest relevance. So, we built a bank.
But not just any bank! Griffin is a technology platform and a bank: fully regulated, API-first, developer-centric, and purpose-built to serve innovative fintechs and brands who want to build and embed financial products.
Our culture is our most important asset, and one of the ways we safeguard it is by being extremely intentional about hiring the right people. We won't hire people who don’t seem like a strong fit for our core values, even if they're otherwise extremely qualified.
We also believe that smart, motivated, conscientious people thrive in high-trust, high-autonomy environments. That’s why we’re transparent by default, and we encourage open discussion and challenge across all levels of the organisation. We’re also remote-first, asynchronous, and fully flexible - because you're the expert on how and when you do your best work.
The Engineering Team
We have grown quickly within the last year to our current team size of 23 which is made up of the CTO, VP of Engineering, Engineering Manager and 20 engineers split across backend, infrastructure and fullstack specialisations.
Rather than "move fast and break things", we aim to move thoughtfully and to make few mistakes. We are an output-driven environment that operates with extreme autonomy; people are free to keep their own hours and we don't micro-manage each other.
Our backend stack is Clojure, FoundationDB, Kubernetes and AWS
Our frontend stack is CLJS, Reframe, Reagent, React, Stitches, Storybook, and Playroom
Who are you?
The ideal candidate for this job will have most of the following:
- You are deeply passionate about helping others achieve their goals and become the best engineers they can be whilst avoiding burnout
- You actively look for cross functionality and have experience working with product and operations teams.
- You have recent experience as a senior engineer or in a technical leadership role using functional languages (Clojure, Elixir, Haskell etc).
- You have a solid understanding of what good looks like for a high-performing engineering team of different skillsets and experience levels.
What will you be doing here?
As an Engineering Manager at Griffin, you will:
- Be a leader of one or more teams, taking accountability for their deliveries and the health of their technology
- Manage your teams sprints, making sure that development work is ready to be picked up, estimated and prioritised to optimise output.
- Coach your teams in everything from architectural vision to operational excellence
- Collaborate with the CTO and product management team to set and execute against the right goals
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers.
- Work with our VP of Engineering to build a long term roadmap for the development of our engineers
- Support the team in maintaining a high technical standard and best working practices
- Take a prominent role in recruiting across engineering and product
What can we offer you?
We are an early stage startup and we're working hard to expand our benefits package. We're planning to add to this list in the future.
- 25 days off a year + bank holidays
- Flexible, remote-friendly working - including supporting home office setup
- Tax-advantaged stock options under HMRC's Company Share Option Plan (CSOP)
- Auto-enrolment into company pension scheme
- Enhanced parental leave with up to 6 months at full pay
- Private medical insurance and life insurance (provided by Vitality and AIG respectively)
How do I apply?
Are we your next move? Apply via the link below, if there's a match our Talent team will reach out to schedule an initial conversation and talk you through our interview process in detail.
N.B: We have a small London office in Moorgate, and we are comfortable hiring people to work from anywhere in the UK. About half of the company is based within occasional commuting distance of London, the other half is full-time remote.
Our goal is for Griffin to proportionally represent the diversity of the working population in society. We’re working to ensure that Griffin is a supportive, empowering and inclusive environment for every member of our team — whatever your combination of race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical ability, nationality, neurodiversity, and religious beliefs. If you’re part of a group that is under-represented in fintech, we’d love to hear from you