Embedded Hardware Engineer
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 12, 2023
At Glowforge, we help people bring home the future and make it their own. Our printer uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. Take a look and see for yourself.
We build magical products to delight our customers, and we do it while taking care of each other. We hire people who are outstanding at what they do, who thrive in tight-knit teams, and who want to make things that make a difference.
Together, we've built a product we're incredibly proud of, and the reward has been incredible growth. We work together because we believe in the power of creativity. We believe we can bring about a future where anyone can print anything.
We'd love to have you join us!
Why We Need You
We rely on you to unlock the incredible abilities of the Glowforge hardware, from cameras to motors to sensors to lasers. To craft the best hardware, we perform meticulous tests of the components and subsystems that make up the product. This requires writing specialized firmware that stress tests the hardware systems to validate their reliability and quality.
You command hardware to perform simple to complicated tasks, safely and optimally, through firmware instructions across a variety of processors. You understand hardware intimately and you love to build firmware that works seamlessly and adapts to the user’s every command.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
You’ll be working closely with a team of hardware engineers to design systems that will test the functionality of new and existing products. Our existing products are designed on a Linux-embedded environment and you should be proficient in how to interface with and modify the existing firmware to adapt for testing needs.
Our new products undergo thorough testing and require creative test fixtures for hardware testing and data collection. You will be providing the system-level expertise on how and what can be done through firmware to support these tests.
Here are the exciting tasks that define this role:
- Interfacing with and optimizing a Linux-embedded framework to control Glowforge products and their peripherals
- Taking lead in firmware architecture, development, and deployment including detailed documentation and release management
- Developing creative and unique test fixtures in collaboration with the design engineering team
- Collaboratively developing firmware to improve machine vision and robotic control to accelerate the features our customers love most
- Crafting interfaces and communications with new Glowforge peripherals that unlock entirely new abilities for our customers
You need these qualifications:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or related fields
- Five or more years of designing electronics using embedded systems including creating schematics, PCB layout, hardware bring-up, and debugging
- Proven experience designing analog sensor circuits and digital signal processing
- You can read schematics and datasheets and have knowledge of engineering equipment such as oscilloscopes and logic analyzers
- Experience with embedded Linux systems and writing firmware in C, or other hardware-related languages
It would be nice if you have…
- Shipped a commercial product that included your firmware and/or hardware design
- Experience with bare-metal programming and debugging of ARM-based microcontrollers and System on a Chip (SoC) designs
- Experience writing device drivers for communications and sensor peripherals
- A solid understanding of common communication interfaces such as UART, I2C, SPIDesigned Internet of Things (IoT) systems
Pay range information: At Glowforge we care deeply about equitable and fair pay. The pay range for this role is $109,867 to $115,360, plus stock options and a bonus plan. We set your offer based on objective market data. We put tremendous care into our process - we wrote all about it here.
Benefits information: You and your dependents are covered by amazing and comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance. We encourage everyone to take advantage of matching with our 401k plan. You’ll enjoy 4 weeks of vacation, plus 11 paid holidays (we let you choose them instead of choosing for you), each year. You can read more on our careers page.
Send us a resume or a link to whatever showcases your skills the best. If a resume isn’t handy, a LinkedIn profile or GitHub account is fine. We can’t wait to meet you.
We love cover letters. We read them before the resume. Please tell us about a product that you worked on that you’re proud of, and what contribution you made that you’re most excited about.
In your cover letter, in addition to whatever you’d like to say, please tell us about the product or feature you’re most proud of in your portfolio. What about it makes you grin from ear to ear?
There's one more very important thing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We search for amazing people with a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We take care of each other to create an inclusive work environment where we love to come to work every day. We'd be happy to provide reasonable accommodations to help you apply - just email us at email@example.com. We'd love to have you join us.