Category Manager, Grocery
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Hey there, welcome to Foxtrot.
We’re the digitally-native evolution of the corner store—the one-stop-shop for those seeking thoughtful food experiences that are a reflection of themselves and their city. We offer a handpicked curation of daily essentials in-store and delivered in as little as 30 minutes, via our app and website.
Alongside our investors like Almanac Insights, Momofuku founder David Chang, Sweetgreen co-founder/co-chief executive officer Nicolas Jammet, and most recently D1 Capital Partners, we’re building an omni-channel brand that seamlessly marries e-commerce delivery, proprietary inventory technology, and the feel-good community of neighborhood stores.
Our storefronts offer the most-loved aspects of the neighborhood: beautifully designed interiors that wrap you in the welcoming aroma of locally-sourced coffee, comfortable lounge areas to work and relax in, and chef-prepared meals to snack on throughout the day. And all in a space that joins mindful people, brands, and goods to create a community of discovery and joy. And our swift app and online store further highlight the Foxtrot experience, delivering a new kind of convenience that brings the store straight to your door.
Since launching in 2013, we now operate in Chicago, DC, Dallas, and Austin, rapidly scaling nationwide.
We are looking for a Category Manager to join our team! As a Category Manager at Foxtrot, you will manage an assigned group of products within the Grocery department (frozen, refrigerated, and/or center store).
You will be the one responsible for sales, margin, assortment, instocks, pricing, vendor partnerships and negotiations, and marketing of that product group with the goal of optimizing the P&L.
Relationships with vendors, commercial mindset as well as understanding consumers' wants and needs will also be part of your duties.
- Research and analyze data and market insights (SPINS and market trends/foraging)
- Search for insights into consumer needs and wants - identify trends early
- Plan and implement long-term development strategies for product categories
- Design exit strategies for unsuccessful products
- Build and maintain long-term relationships with vendors
- Ensure product availability on shelf and online
- Strategize positioning of a product category in order to maximize its visibility
- Collaborate with the marketing, ops, supply chain and inventory teams
- Research competitors and suggest appropriate pricing and promotional activities
- Work with customers and merchandisers and find new ways of expanding product categories
- Calculate forecasts for product demand trends
- Manage and track budget
- Previous working experience as grocery/food category manager for 5+ years
- Expertise in category management, instock management, vendor coop negotiations, space planning and P&L management
- In-depth knowledge of marketing and sales operations and processes
- Hands on experience with analyzing big data and making forecasts
- Analytical and critical thinker
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- BA in business administration, marketing or similar relevant field
And we couldn’t round this out without mentioning some of the perks of working here, right? Beyond all the coffee you can drink, you’ll also enjoy our comprehensive (and growing) benefits program, 401(k) with an employer match, discounts while shopping, and more!
*certain program & eligibility rules do apply*
Foxtrot is an equal opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify
Foxtrot provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
Foxtrot participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.
See more open positions at Foxtrot
Something looks off?