Agriculture Trade Reporter
Marketing & Communications, People & HR
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2024
Thank you for your interest in this position with CQ Roll Call, a wholly-owned subsidiary of FiscalNote. The recruitment for this role is being managed by FiscalNote's Recruiting team (parent company), so you are in the right place! Please continue to review this opportunity and apply at your interest. We are excited to review your background. Thank you!
About the Position
CQ Roll Call is seeking a journalist to join our dynamic reporting team, with a focus on agriculture, trade and appropriations legislation and how that intersect with business and investments. We keep our readers informed about the content of legislation in the three areas as it is being drafted, marked up in committee, and ultimately goes to the floor. Our job is to provide news and analysis through print, digital, audio and video. This role will offer you the opportunity to break news, write enterprise stories, and contribute to newsletters. Your expertise will also be utilized for podcasts, videos and events.
About the CQ Roll Call Team
The agriculture and trade reporter is part of CQ Roll Call’s coverage of both policy and politics in FiscalNote’s mission to make government transparent for readers on the Hill, in the executive branch, and in the interest and industry groups with a stake in government decision-making.
You are a self-motivated journalist with the drive to stay ahead of competitors on developments on your beat, know the major players in Congress and the executive branch. You also will have a facility with spending bills and experience covering your beat in webinars, broadcast interviews and conferences. You will also be a team player, able and willing to collaborate with your colleagues and sometimes backing them up on their beats.
What to Expect in this Position
- A track record of reporting and writing smart, sophisticated stories and enterprise that drive the conversation about agriculture and trade policies, and their impact on businesses and investors
- Established sources and contacts in agriculture and trade, and among exporters and importers, and related fields, and be able to expand that list of experts
- Experience reading bills, particularly spending bills
- Clear and accurate writing on tight deadlines, both breaking news and broader enterprise stories
- A proven ability to handle a demanding, fast-moving beat
- Digging through data and reports to find untold stories and be able to analyze data sets to determine newsworthy trends
- Writing proactively about agriculture, trade and business issues to drive debate on Capitol Hill and in the administration
- Pitching and producing sharply written stories for all CQ and Roll Call products. Producing content for videos and podcasts, and participating in events that showcase your expertise
- Working with reporters whose beats touch on agriculture, trade and appropriations through the lens of Congress and government agencies. You will be part of a collaborative newsroom that supports each other’s work.
- Willingness to work congressional hours, following legislative activity that can run into the evening and night, and also to weekends.
What Sets You Apart
- 5+ years of journalism experience covering agriculture, trade, appropriations and related topics for newspapers, news websites, news magazines or other news organizations
- Demonstrated coverage of Congress, federal agencies or a legislative body for a news outlet
- Knowledge of foreign policy and its impact on business and economics
- Computer-assisted reporting skills including use of databases, Excel and other programs and tools
- A track record of producing scoops and compelling features for news outlets
- Strong written and verbal communication abilities
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, competitive environment
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Excited about this role, but don't meet 100% of the expected qualifications listed above? We'd still love for you to apply! FiscalNote is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where unique experiences are valued and everyone has the opportunity to contribute. Research has continuously shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet all of the listed qualifications. We want to help overcome this trend and seek to make space for unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when applying to FiscalNote, rest assured that your application is reviewed by a living, breathing human being and evaluated based on key competencies needed for success in the position. Our Recruiting team maintains awareness of all open roles which means your application may be assessed against multiple positions and we will reach out to gauge your interest in other opportunities as appropriate. Questions or concerns? Contact email@example.com, we'd be happy to connect!
As part of FiscalNote's commitment to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with medical conditions or disabilities that will enable their access to the hiring process. If you need an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the nature of your request.
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
FiscalNote supports our people by enabling team members with flexibility and benefits to promote well-being and balance, ensuring all FiscalNoters can bring their authentic selves to work. We start by offering competitive salaries, retirement accounts, and equity packages to ensure we’re all FN owners. Plus, our comprehensive benefits packages align with regional requirements and expectations no matter where you are located across the globe. Learn more at https://careers.fiscalnote.com/benefits/.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.