Associate General Counsel - Corporate
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
About the Position
FiscalNote (NYSE: NOTE) is a leading technology provider of global policy and market intelligence. Through a combination of AI and other technologies, as well as analytics, workflow tools, and human expertise, we deliver critical, actionable legal and policy insights in a rapidly evolving political, regulatory and macroeconomic environment. We have grown rapidly in just a few years – with an operational footprint spanning the globe – and completed our public listing on the NYSE in August 2022.
In this role, you will report directly to the General Counsel and take the lead on a wide range of matters for the legal function, including corporate compliance and governance, commercial contracting, labor and employment law and more. In addition, you will provide support and guidance on M&A, financings and other critical strategic transactions. Here, you will have countless opportunities to work with the company’s senior leadership team and other internal clients across the business, leveraging your legal skills, business acumen and strategic perspective to devise solutions that meet regulatory, business, and organizational needs.
About the Team
The FiscalNote legal team is a strategic partner and trusted advisor to the business, and serves as an essential contributor to the company’s growth. The legal team operates at a high level, often exceeding the level of expertise and quality of work of our outside counsel. We strive to foster and maintain great relationships with all our internal clients, and to deliver top notch and timely service and guidance at all times. As Associate General Counsel - Corporate, you’ll be expected to provide expert guidance on your core areas of responsibility and leverage outside counsel as necessary to meet the company’s needs. You’ll be key to the success of the company’s commercial operations, governance and compliance, and strategic transactions.
This role requires core strengths in corporate law, commercial contracts, negotiations, and deal structuring, as well as superior communication skills, executive presence, creative problem solving and risk management. Beyond that, this role is ideal for you if you relish opportunities to roll-up your sleeves, come up to speed quickly on new areas of law and tackle projects beyond your core competencies.
What To Expect In This Position
- From your “home base” of knowledge of corporate law, contracts and transactional matters, you will operate as a true in-house generalist, able to step in and provide support on a wide range of legal needs facing a growing and complex company.
- You’ll be called upon to lead projects to completion, keeping various stakeholders across the organization aligned, bought-in and on-task to drive progress.
- You’ll leverage your experience using effective business growth and risk management techniques to offer proactive advice enabling the company to balance business opportunity and legal risk appropriately.
- You’ll partner with executives, other internal clients and third parties on a variety of legal matters to help the company achieve its strategic objectives.
- You’ll work collaboratively with key stakeholders across the business, seeking to understand their needs and to develop streamlined processes, best practices and standardized operating procedures.
- At times, you’ll navigate ambiguous, challenging and potentially contentious situations with diplomacy and professionalism – with the company’s objectives and ethical principles as a north star.
- Embrace and exemplify FiscalNote values at all times: Know Your Audience, Find the Truth, Drive Alignment, Own the Job, Bias for Action, Level Up and Support the Family!
What Sets You Apart
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and admission to a state bar
- 6+ years work experience in a relevant law firm and/or in a leadership role as in-house counsel
- Tech (SaaS), information services, and/or media industry experience preferred
- International experience is a plus
- Experience as a leader with the executive presence to become a true business partner across the company, capable of contributing to broader business conversations beyond their functional expertise
- Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational / project management skills, and a collaborative, inclusive and team-player attitude
- Exemplary verbal, writing, and presentation skills
- A practical, creative problem-solving orientation
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to understand the needs of key stakeholders to navigate complex situations
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves to get things done while also working as an excellent manager, mentor, and leader
Excited about this role, but don't meet 100% of the expected qualifications listed above? We'd still love for you to apply! FiscalNote is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where unique experiences are valued and everyone has the opportunity to contribute. Research has continuously shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet all of the listed qualifications. We want to help overcome this trend and seek to make space for unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when applying to FiscalNote, rest assured that your application is reviewed by a living, breathing human being and evaluated based on key competencies needed for success in the position. Our Recruiting team maintains awareness of all open roles which means your application may be assessed against multiple positions and we will reach out to gauge your interest in other opportunities as appropriate. Questions or concerns? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, we'd be happy to connect!
As part of FiscalNote's commitment to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with medical conditions or disabilities that will enable their access to the hiring process. If you need an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com to let us know the nature of your request.
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
FiscalNote supports our people by enabling team members with flexibility and benefits to promote well-being and balance, ensuring all FiscalNoters can bring their authentic selves to work. We start by offering competitive salaries, retirement accounts, and equity packages to ensure we’re all FN owners. Plus, our comprehensive benefits packages align with regional requirements and expectations no matter where you are located across the globe. Learn more at https://careers.fiscalnote.com/benefits/.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.