Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
Thank you for your interest in this position with Dragonfly, a wholly-owned subsidiary of FiscalNote. The recruitment for this role is being managed by FiscalNote's Recruiting team (parent company), so you are in the right place! Please continue to review this opportunity and apply at your interest. We are excited to review your background. Thank you!
IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTE: THIS POSITION REQUIRES A RESUME AND COVER LETTER. PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER ANONYMOUSLY BY REMOVING YOUR NAME FROM THE BOTH DOCUMENTS. PLEASE ENSURE YOUR COVER LETTER IS NO MORE THAN 200 WORDS.
About the Position
A Research Analyst (RA) is a junior/entry-level research-focused role with a global remit. The role is London-based and fixed term (usually for 12 months). The RA is required to do work on weekends at least once a month but will not be expected to work more than 40 hours a week.
About the RA Team
The Research Analyst programme gives talented people experience in security and geopolitical risk research and analysis. Every RA is assigned to a line manager, who is responsible for providing general guidance and support and for helping address any issues regarding your role and relationship with the company.
Your main responsibility as an RA is open-source data collection and media monitoring to maintain key Dragonfly products: the TerrorismTracker (TT) database, Terrorism Intelligence Summary (TERWS) and Travel Risks Monitor (TRM). You also work in direct support of Dragonfly’s team of intelligence analysts on discrete taskings. This includes but is not limited to assisting regional analysts with research for reports and client Requests for Information (RFIs).
You should expect exposure to graphic and violent content while conducting online research and analysis for TT and TERWS. You will be able to benefit from regular counselling sessions with a professional psychologist, should you opt to.
What To Expect In This Position
- Conduct high quality open source research, monitoring and data gathering, including qualifying sources and validating information, in support of timely and high quality security intelligence and political risk analysis (specifically Dragonfly’s TerrorismTracker database and the daily Travel Risks Monitor).
- Use, develop and maintain our resources, specifically data feeds and open source networks.
- Develop expertise in terrorism in accordance with our working definition, enabling you to effectively identify, analyse and assess terrorism incidents, plots and trends.
- Become proficient in assessing travel risks, allowing you to monitor, identify and report on potential disruptions and risks to professionals and businesses' travel plans and operations.
- Provide high quality research in support of project work and SIAS reports or briefings, within agreed timescales, seeking guidance where required.
- Be proactive in taking on day-to-day operational tasks and ensuring team delivery demands are met.
- Frequently seek guidance, support and training from peers and senior colleagues where appropriate.
- Represent and advocate for the Dragonfly brand.
- Develop an understanding of Dragonfly client requirements through feedback, guidance and attending internal Dragonfly meetings and events.
What Sets You Apart
- You build research and collection plans for each assignment and project.
- You are able to do diligent research, collecting, refining and structuring information relevant to the assessment and within required timeframes.
- You undertake accurate verification of information and present the research that accurately communicates the information, and unambiguously parses fact from unverified information. You reliably record and cite sources.
- You organise intelligence and information in a format that can be shared with and understood by others in line with company guidance.
- You articulate the main source strengths and weaknesses in the information based used in your assessments
- You present the outcomes of your analysis honestly, even if your assessment could be contentious.
- You understand the purpose and principles of critical thinking.
- You can identify the assumptions relating to your hypotheses, and proactively challenge these to understand the extent to which they are supported.
- You draft assessments following the principles of plain English with good spelling and grammar, in line with relevant company writing guides.
- You draft clear, relevant, accurate information and concise assessment.
- You actively learn and apply Dragonfly house writing and presentation style.
- You are able to show progression in the understanding and use house of style in a fluent and not-formulaic manner, responding constructively to feedback and direction.
- You actively self reflect on your own behaviours and performance to develop an accurate understanding of your own drivers, strengths and development areas.
- You adopt and cultivate a learning and development mindset, encouraging feedback and responding in a non-defensive manner to challenge and feedback.
- You build positive and trusted working relationships where you can seek honest appraisal and build self-awareness.
- You actively seek to collaborate and support the work of colleagues to achieve business goals.
Excited about this role, but don't meet 100% of the expected qualifications listed above? We'd still love for you to apply! FiscalNote is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where unique experiences are valued and everyone has the opportunity to contribute. Research has continuously shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet all of the listed qualifications. We want to help overcome this trend and seek to make space for unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when applying to FiscalNote, rest assured that your application is reviewed by a living, breathing human being and evaluated based on key competencies needed for success in the position. Our Recruiting team maintains awareness of all open roles which means your application may be assessed against multiple positions and we will reach out to gauge your interest in other opportunities as appropriate. Questions or concerns? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, we'd be happy to connect!
As part of FiscalNote's commitment to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with medical conditions or disabilities that will enable their access to the hiring process. If you need an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com to let us know the nature of your request.
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
FiscalNote supports our people by enabling team members with flexibility and benefits to promote well-being and balance, ensuring all FiscalNoters can bring their authentic selves to work. We start by offering competitive salaries, retirement accounts, and equity packages to ensure we’re all FN owners. Plus, our comprehensive benefits packages align with regional requirements and expectations no matter where you are located across the globe. Learn more at https://careers.fiscalnote.com/benefits/.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.