Senior Latin America Analyst, Dragonfly
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Thank you for your interest in this position with Dragonfly, a wholly-owned subsidiary of FiscalNote. The recruitment for this role is being managed by FiscalNote's Recruiting team (parent company), so you are in the right place! Please continue to review this opportunity and apply at your interest. We are excited to review your background. Thank you!
About the Position
A Senior Associate to lead Dragonfly’s Americas desk. This is a full-time, permanent position, based in Dragonfly’s London office. The Senior Associate is contracted to work 40 hours a week, though additional work may be occasionally required depending on specific projects or international travel.
About the Team
The Americas Team is responsible for producing Dragonfly’s coverage of North and Latin America, and the Caribbean, primarily for its Security Intelligence and Analysis Service (SIAS). This service provides anticipatory security and strategic intelligence for global businesses and international organisations. The team comprises three analysts (including the Senior Associate), one of whom is also based in London; the other works remotely from New York City.
Your primary responsibility as the lead analyst for the Americas desk is to ensure consistent production and delivery of high quality SIAS products, and executing on duties, taskings and projects. As well as being responsible for producing market-leading intelligence products on the Americas, the lead analyst is a supervisory role; you will carry out peer review, mentoring, guidance and line management (depending on team requirements) to more junior staff. This includes shaping and directing the Americas desk’s coverage of the region in coordination with Dragonfly’s management team. You are an industry leader in analysis on security, politics, geopolitics and strategic issues in the Americas.
What To Expect In This Position:
- Prepare consistently client-ready (or near client ready) SIAS research, analysis, written reports and verbal briefings to agreed deadlines.
- Deliver high quality project work within agreed and set budgets and timescales.
- Conduct open source research and data-driven analysis in support of timely and high quality security intelligence and political risk analysis and assessments.
- Ensure that our resources (including human intelligence sources and subcontractors) are up-to-date and our network and capabilities are developed and can deliver intelligence.
- Give clear taskings to analysts, researchers and subcontractors that set out appropriate deadlines, deliverables and guidance.
- Provide direction, work plans, peer review, guidance on approaches to peers and junior analysts.
- Provide constructive, honest and delivery-focused feedback on analyst work. This feedback should have clear action points that highlight areas for ongoing skills development.
- Be proactive and lead by example in dealing day to day operational tasks and ensuring team delivery demands are met. This is likely to include working on regions or topics that are outside of the individual’s expertise.
- Sign off on Travel Risk Monitor, TerrorismTracker and client Requests For Information (and any additional reporting where sign-off authorisation has been given) while being alert to any content meeting as ‘high risk’ criteria for escalated associate director or director oversight.
- Provide outstanding customer service.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with clients and prospects.
- Represent and advocate for the Dragonfly brand.
- Draft proposals for relevant projects relevant in coordination with the director of business development and the head of projects.
- Identify, develop and deliver commercial opportunities, while engaging with appropriate colleagues.
- Maintain accurate Salesforce records of client correspondence and interaction.
What Sets You Apart:
- You are able to direct and lead complex, high risk and sensitive research assignments and ensure that such assignments stand up to the most rigorous scrutiny.
- You provide direction and guidance to less proficient colleagues on human source identification, approaches, relationship management and managing any risks associated with human source work.
- You understand how to communicate source information appropriately in a manner that fulfils our all-source commercial proposition, indicating provenance and reliability but not comprising sources.
- You can identify, analyse, manage and maintain the best data and information feeds for our intelligence requirements
- You are able to lead on hypothesis testing and champion different approaches in peer review and guidance to constructively challenge assumptions and research, and direct analysts to best practice.
- You test and challenge the reasoning and analytical judgements of others.
- You may also have some experience using appropriate tools (e.g. Python SQL, R) to scrape data, query databases, automate processes and power data visualisation tools, primarily Tableau and ArcGIS
- You understand how to consistently present engaging work with flair and skillfully apply house style to work, with a full understanding of why our style is as it is and how it differentiates us.
- You train and mentor others in house style and the communication of methodologically sound and engaging work.
- You convert work from researchers into a high quality product that meets house style standards.
- You consider new ways to present findings visually, drawing on expertise to make use of cutting edge tools.
- You may also be able to design, develop and maintain dashboards, mapping and other visual tools.
- You share open and honest insights with team members to help them build their self-awareness and understand their impact.
- You help team members maximise their personal effectiveness by coaching them in how to play to their strengths and work on their weaker areas.
- You support the development of a trusting and respectful work environment that embraces and values diversity.
- You ensure your line reports, unit or team understand how their personal goals align to their area and to business objectives.
- You ensure your line reports, unit or team have clear roles and responsibilities and encourage personal and team accountability.
- You make fair and accurate judgements about team members’ performance and work with them to put in place development goals aligned to these.
- You ensure robust performance management processes are in place, tackling underperformance and behaviour that goes against the values.
- You demonstrate informed, and empathic insight into the roles and typical decisions of our clients, and anticipate their future challenges, decisions and changes they may face.
- You work with clients to reveal other requirements that they may not have thought of by focussing their attention on decisions and decision-risks.
- You are able to present insightful and foresightful intelligence assessment-based conclusions, in a manner that does not exceed remit but does exceed client expectations and adds value.
- You adapt your verbal delivery style at short notice, communicating your assessments to appropriate clients where little or no preparation time is available.
- You actively seek feedback following presentations and briefings, reviewing and acting on the feedback to improve your communication style and content.
- You establish an ongoing dialogue with key clients, adapting your style to meet their needs.
- You proactively seek opportunities to represent and promote the business.
- You position yourself as an ambassador for the business and are able to positively represent and promote the business in the face of challenge and competition.
- You are able to engage with clients and advance commercial opportunities to completion.
- You engage colleagues to help them understand both the short term and long term priorities and the part they can play.
- You lead on business administrative aspects and play an active and constructive role in their monitoring, improvement and efficiency.
- You identify typical risks and apply proportionate containment measures for those encountered within the team.
Excited about this role, but don't meet 100% of the expected qualifications listed above? We'd still love for you to apply! FiscalNote is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where unique experiences are valued and everyone has the opportunity to contribute. Research has continuously shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet all of the listed qualifications. We want to help overcome this trend and seek to make space for unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when applying to FiscalNote, rest assured that your application is reviewed by a living, breathing human being and evaluated based on key competencies needed for success in the position. Our Recruiting team maintains awareness of all open roles which means your application may be assessed against multiple positions and we will reach out to gauge your interest in other opportunities as appropriate. Questions or concerns? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, we'd be happy to connect!
As part of FiscalNote's commitment to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with medical conditions or disabilities that will enable their access to the hiring process. If you need an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com to let us know the nature of your request.
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
FiscalNote supports our people by enabling team members with flexibility and benefits to promote well-being and balance, ensuring all FiscalNoters can bring their authentic selves to work. We start by offering competitive salaries, retirement accounts, and equity packages to ensure we’re all FN owners. Plus, our comprehensive benefits packages align with regional requirements and expectations no matter where you are located across the globe. Learn more at https://careers.fiscalnote.com/benefits/.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.