Floor Action Reporter / Bill Track Researcher
Marketing & Communications
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2023
Thank you for your interest in this position with CQ Roll Call, a wholly-owned subsidiary of FiscalNote. The recruitment for this role is being managed by FiscalNote's Recruiting team (parent company), so you are in the right place! Please continue to review this opportunity and apply at your interest. We are excited to review your background. Thank you!
About the Position
This position will work with other members of the floor and committee reporting team to ensure that CQ’s legislative data and live House and Senate floor and committee markup coverage is thorough and immediately relevant. This position is within the Editorial department.
About the Legislative Action Team
Floor Action Reporters produce fast, concise and comprehensive descriptions of the policies that take shape on the chamber floors and assist with the publication and maintenance of various CQ.com databases and written content to provide CQ Roll Call’s clients and the newsroom with superior information. Our work entails data entry and proofing, drafting emails for use by editors and reporters in the CQ newsroom, and publishing analytical written pieces describing legislation.
This position requires exceptional accuracy and attention to detail, the ability to work under pressure and meet firm deadlines, and an understanding of the legislative process. Floor Action Reporters cover House and Senate action gavel-to-gavel and must be available to work from the press gallery office spaces within the U.S. Capitol building for work hours largely decided by the congressional schedule.
What To Expect In This Position:
- Track every action on the House or Senate floor as it happens, providing complete, timely coverage and precise descriptions of both the policy and legislative procedure involved at the time, within set deadlines and in accordance with CQ Roll Call and Associated Press editorial style standards.
- Read, summarize and analyze bill text and floor actions; prepare impartial, fact-based bill summaries of *all* measures and amendments that are the subject of floor activity in either chamber for publication or internal newsroom circulation.
- Backstop and/or collaborate with team members and others in the newsroom to provide detailed and informative analysis of congressional committee actions.
- Quickly and accurately collect and process legislative data, text bill information and other related information as assigned by your editor.
- Master a handful of operational tools, procedures and software systems to maintain CQ’s legislative data and develop a broad understanding of CQ Roll Call databases and legislative tracking products.
- Balance long hours and an unpredictable congressional schedule while juggling multiple assignments.
- Report breaking news from the House and Senate floors and promptly respond to -- and act upon -- newsroom questions or requests for floor information.
- Work with editors and other reporters to develop reporting, writing and general news-gathering skills; cultivate relationships with congressional and government agency sources for journalistic and document-sourcing purposes.
- In time, contribute ideas about product priorities, data quality and how to improve operations within CQ’s legislative research and analysis department.
- Perform other duties as assigned and to be a team player.
What Sets You Apart:
- At least one year of research or writing experience, preferably in a political or policy-focused capacity; equivalent experience on Capitol Hill; or equivalent experience in journalism, whether as a researcher, reporter or copy editor.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong interest in policy, politics and/or procedure.
- The ability to read and summarize drafts of legislation and amendments, drawing relevant context from the U.S. Code and relevant, reliable sources.
- Ability to write objectively about legislative proposals.
- Experience with large amounts of data entry, proofing and related research.
- Strong attention to detail and good organizational abilities.
- The ability to work a schedule that largely mirrors the House and Senate daily/weekly hours of operation.
- The ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Familiarity with congressional operations and the policy-making process.
- The ability to develop sources, gather information and process content consistently with CQ Roll Call’s editorial style and standards.
Excited about this role, but don't meet 100% of the expected qualifications listed above? We'd still love for you to apply! FiscalNote is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce where unique experiences are valued and everyone has the opportunity to contribute. Research has continuously shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet all of the listed qualifications. We want to help overcome this trend and seek to make space for unique and relevant skills and attributes. So, when applying to FiscalNote, rest assured that your application is reviewed by a living, breathing human being and evaluated based on key competencies needed for success in the position. Our Recruiting team maintains awareness of all open roles which means your application may be assessed against multiple positions and we will reach out to gauge your interest in other opportunities as appropriate. Questions or concerns? Contact email@example.com, we'd be happy to connect!
As part of FiscalNote's commitment to creating an accessible and inclusive hiring process, we strive to provide reasonable accommodations for persons with medical conditions or disabilities that will enable their access to the hiring process. If you need an accommodation, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the nature of your request.
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
FiscalNote supports our people by enabling team members with flexibility and benefits to promote well-being and balance, ensuring all FiscalNoters can bring their authentic selves to work. We start by offering competitive salaries, retirement accounts, and equity packages to ensure we’re all FN owners. Plus, our comprehensive benefits packages align with regional requirements and expectations no matter where you are located across the globe. Learn more at https://careers.fiscalnote.com/benefits/.
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify.