Audio Visual Operations Manager
Convene is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and we believe that diverse teams are the best teams. We live our values of GRIT (Genuine, Relentless, Integrity & Teamwork) and strive to create an inclusive and equitable workplace where everyone can be their true selves, where we all show up for each other. In line with our goal to be 1% better every day, we are committed to listening, learning, growing and improving. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives to join us on this journey.
Convene, a global industry leader in premium meeting, event, flexible office, and membership spaces is seeking an AV Operations Manager to help lead our property AV team in overseeing the technical execution of programming in New York City. We are looking for a candidate who exemplifies a passion for AV Technology, Hospitality, and Events along with being a proponent of cultivating a positive and inclusive employee culture. In this role, the AV Operations Manager report directly to the Director of AV Operations as well as the General Manager.
What You’ll Do:
The AV Operations Manager provides and manages all services used to deliver technology to our customers and associates including networking, desktop support, audio, video, HSIA, audio & video conferencing, webcasting, and basic lighting for different types of meetings and events. The AV Operations Manager works closely with customers to deliver an excellent meeting, conference, and working experience. The AV Operations Manager oversees AV Operations Specialists in supporting/executing customer needs and helps manage, train, and lead Specialists in personal, technical, and career development/training. The person in this role also works directly with the sales and event teams to deliver excellent client experiences. The AV Operations Manager will work closely with the AV Production Manager to take pre-production information and translate it into day of operations.
- The AV Operations Manager is responsible for Operations Management in regards to event logistics, staffing, and rental equipment.
- Provide ad-hoc troubleshooting and assistance to customers of all technology competency levels.
- Manage and troubleshoot AV equipment, including but not limited to audio, video, lighting, computer networking systems, and hardware.
- Evaluation and trouble-shooting of personal computer hardware and software, peripheral devices, mobile devices, and network component problems.
- Pre-program coordination with clients, and the AV Production Manager, ensuring that all of their technological needs are met and in place for their arrival.
- Provide genuine anticipatory customer service by establishing good working relationships with Convene team members, divisions, and vendors.
- Attend PEO, Pre-Con, and pre-production meetings as needed.
- Direct day-to-day floor operations of AV Operations Specialists, including set and strike, scheduling, etc.
- Create a weekly schedule for AV Operations Specialists and coordinate with other locations to share resources as needed.
- Delegate tasks across the team.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with clients and assist with any reasonable requests during programs.
- Interact with the sales team to ensure a thorough understanding of the client experience with Convene prior to the start of their meeting/event.
- Assist in any areas of daily operation.
- Responsible for Training & Development of AV Operations Specialists.
- Assist with developing a healthy employee relations climate, including employee motivation and coaching.
- Participate in collaborative project efforts with both the technology team and other departments.
- Participate in employee appraisals.
- Mentor AV Operations Specialists to provide a consistent level of customer service.
- Interview and hire prospective candidates for all positions in the department using targeted selection.
- Stay current on industry trends in special events/meetings through benchmarking, trade publications, competitive shopping, and special event conferences.
- Review all departmental SOPs on a quarterly basis and update as needed.
- The AV Operations Manager will be Responsible for weekly financial reporting of client programs, tracking labor hours/dollar amounts, and other departmental expenses.
- Review P&L/General Ledger reports for department/location ensuring accuracy.
- Approval and submission of vendor invoices to Accounts Payable in a timely fashion.
- Participate in the annual budgeting process for team member’s location.
- Completion of weekly/monthly status reports.
- Maintain and uphold Convenes cultural standards
- Perform other duties as requested by management.
- Show initiative and drive to solve problems.
- Portray a polished, professional image according to Convene dress code standards.
What We Look For:
- 5+ years’ experience in managing AV and IT equipment and computer software systems
- Experience leading team members.
- Customer service or hospitality experience preferred.
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of audiovisual equipment including analog/digital audio mixers, wireless microphone systems, seamless video switchers, and projectors/displays.
- Possess an understanding of Crestron control, and hardware endpoints.
- Basic knowledge of data networking principles, architecture, and applications.
- Experience in the basic installation, configuration, operation and administration of operating systems, applications and hardware for Macs, PCs, LANs, servers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Apple iWorks suite of business applications.
- Ability to lead and manage other team members while working effectively with both internal and external clients.
- Experience with CRM applications.
- Flexible, long, and weekend hours sometimes required.
- Ability to move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects up to 25 pounds without assistance.
- Ability to reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
- Ability to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time.
- Ability to climb and work on a ladder for lengthy periods of time.
Equipment & Technical Qualifications:
- Audio: 4-48 channel analog/digital mixers, wireless microphone lavaliers and handhelds, push to talk microphone systems, audio recorders. Familiarity with Biamp Server/Forte systems a plus.
- Video: Switchers, projectors, LCD displays, LED Video Walls
- Lighting: Knowledge of Lighting Maps, lighting concepts, and lighting best practices, familiarity with rigging.
- IT: Wi-Fi troubleshooting, connecting hardline internet, Knowledge of DHCP/Static IP addressing, operate, other collaboration tools and equipment
- Hybrid: Familiarity with virtual meeting and event platform functions as well as live-streaming technologies including cameras, encoders, and lighting.
Control: Familiarity with Crestron control systems and associated hardware
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Salary Min: $75,000 Salary Max: $80,000
This role is also eligible for Convene's annual incentive performance bonus plan.
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience and other relevant factors.
Who We Are:
Convene is a premium hospitality company that designs and operates meeting, event, flexible office, and membership spaces. With a network of 38 locations across nine cities in the U.S. and UK, Convene thoughtfully combines beautiful yet intuitive design, fully-integrated technology services, and a warm and welcoming environment to create a turnkey solution for extraordinary meeting and work experiences. Founded in 2009 with the goal of bringing hospitality and lifestyle into traditional commercial real estate assets, Convene partners with the industry’s top landlords to deliver increased value to their assets and premium experiences to their tenants. The company counts Hudson’s Bay Company, Ares, and RXR Realty among its investors and has been named one of America’s 100 Most Promising Companies by Forbes and a Best Workplace by Inc. magazine, Fortune magazine, and Built In. Learn more at https://convene.com/
We’re Here For You:
At Convene, you’ll receive:
- Excellent health coverage for you and your family starting day one
- Medical and insurance navigation support through Eden Health
- Flexible vacation time plus time off for your birthday
- A Holiday closure each year to allow all employees to unplug and recharge
- 401K plan with company matching
- Professional development support
- A chance to be part of a dynamic, growing team
- The opportunity to have a significant impact on your team and the business in the work that you do
- A culture of GRIT (Genuine, Relentless, Integrity and Teamwork)