Technical Product Owner
Title: Technical Product Owner
Reports to: Director of Product Management
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform helps training organizations, associations and the extended enterprise deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for individuals looking to advance their careers. We incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history. The number of learners on our cloud-based learning platform has reached almost 7 million in 2021.
We’re committed to helping people learn better, and that starts with our own people.
This position is remote (along with all of our BenchPrep positions).
About the role:
We are looking for a dynamic and talented Technical Product Owner to join our growing team. As a key player on our Product team, you are prepared to build productive cross-functional relationships and leverage your technical expertise to advance an ambitious product roadmap. You’re a critical thinker who is analytical and collaborative, and you thrive on understanding and translating business objectives to inform and communicate clearly defined and strategically prioritized stories and acceptance criteria. You have experience working in an agile SaaS product development environment, and concurrently leading frequent discovery, ideation, and development initiatives across multiple teams.
What you'll do as a Technical Product Owner:
- Manage epics//feature backlog grooming and prioritization
- Manage user story development, sprint planning, and sprint reviews for 2+ developer teams and provide support for highly technical projects
- Develop user stories for assigned projects, ensure user stories are “ready” for development to start work, that each story has the correct acceptance criteria
- Provide support for client-facing teams and own major escalations and high value projects
- Train internal teams on new features and products
- Work with development teams to ensure committed user stories are completed
- Collaborate with Product Management leadership to understand and translate business objectives into actionable user stories and acceptance criteria
- Provide regular development updates and insights to Product Management leadership
- Collaborate with Customer Success, Sales, and Development team members, defining requirements for customer SOW engagements
- Engage with customers to gain a better understanding of their work and how BenchPrep products can assist them
- Retroactively review development initiatives and celebrate team successes
About the team: Here at BenchPrep, the Product Management team is responsible for the growth of our business. We are strong, dynamic, and wear many hats. True to startup culture, we aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves to get the job done. We are inspired by a shared mission to help millions learn better and faster through our unique platform.
You should have:
- 3-5 years of experience in a technical product owner role
- A demonstrated history of agile development methodologies
- A demonstrated history of backlog management
- A demonstrated history of user story authoring
- A demonstrated history of project management skills
- Experienced in the coordination of usability sessions
- Experienced with training of internal stakeholders
- Cross-functional communication skills
- Familiarity with customer/market research
- Experience with MS Office, JIRA, Confluence, GSuite
**Note: We know that excellent candidates can have all sorts of backgrounds and experiences, so please don’t hesitate to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the listed requirements!
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day we have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We care about learning so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to develop their skills so they can continue to operate everyday with new skills. It’s no wonder we were selected in Inc’s Best Workplaces of 2020 and Crain’s 2020 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners. Join us.
At BenchPrep, we pride ourselves on offering a great total rewards package to each employee, including medical and ancillary benefits, potential for yearly bonus, stipends for work-from-home expenses, flexible paid time off (our version of unlimited PTO), annual professional development stipend dollars, and of course, a competitive base salary. The salary range for this position is being reviewed, and is set based on Chicago market data. Please note this refers to the amount BenchPrep is willing to pay at the time of this posting.