SATCOM Software Developer Engineer
ATLAS Space Operations
ATLAS Space Operations is the fastest-growing teleport operator in the world according to the World Teleport Association’s Fast 10, and was recognized as the 15th fastest-growing software company in the Inc. 5000, ranking 102 overall. ATLAS provides secure, global space communications that drive critical decisions on Earth – all supported by Freedom™, ATLAS’ cloud-based platform. ATLAS’ global network and revolutionary software provides a revolutionary approach to connecting humanity through space. Our mission is to become the world’s largest provider of pure play teleport and gateway services by leveraging the virtualization of global ground communication assets.
Our culture of innovation encourages and rewards people who charge towards challenges. At ATLAS, each of us embraces constant learning and enjoys innovating as part of a team. We hold each other accountable to always working with integrity and making improvements to best achieve organization goals.
With ATLAS, You’ll Get To:
- Redefine the SATCOM industry
- Support launch and operations of countless space mission
- Charge toward the problems with razor-sharp colleagues
Who You Are:
You’re passionate about technology and are excited to work in satellite communications. You’re an agile self-starter and love the nitty gritty to find root causes and solve problems. You read, learn, examine, and are full of ideas. You get results. You’re motivated by a fast-paced work environment and love new challenges. You want to make a real difference.
The ATLAS Software team holds ultimate responsibility for architecting the Freedom™ Software Platform and enhancing our shared satellite communications network. Our mission is simple: to change the satellite communications industry forever. For decades, aerospace mega-corporations have built systems with antiquated technologies and inefficient strategies. ATLAS is here to modernize satellite communications so that access to space becomes as simple as access to a cell phone network. Joining ATLAS will put you in the heart of the team that will drive this change.
ATLAS is looking for a Software Developer Engineer with expertise in satellite communications to expand the skillsets of our diverse software team. In this role, you will leverage programming skills to enhance a variety of ATLAS software products, including: constellation scheduling, ground site hardware control, realtime/postpass RF chain workflows, and many more. You will have opportunities to design new microservices within the ATLAS framework and extend the Freedom hexagonal architecture. You will also have opportunities to conduct Research & Development on projects acquired through government funded Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) grants.
- Knowledgeable in various SATCOM hardware components including: modem, digitizer, FEP, ACU, up/downconverters, spectrum analyzer, data recorders, and more
- Contribute knowledge and experience in SATCOM concepts, including: frame synchronization, bit error correction, various modem header formats, data de/serialization and de/commutation, TCP/IP networking
- Troubleshoot all links in the SATCOM chain from raw RF to C2 system
- Develop new microservices and software features to support the ATLAS mission
- Implement hexagonal architecture for efficient separation of concerns
- Build the codebase with consideration for maintainability and deployability
- Research implementation strategies and assess new technologies
- Champion new software projects to enhance the ATLAS system
- Test and peer review code for quality assurance
- Document software features for the customer
- 5+ years of experience in software development and satellite communications
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- Experienced in Satellite Communications, modem de/serialization and de/commutation
- Excellent programming skills in Java, Python, and/or C++
- Experienced interfacing with a variety of data sources: SQL, NoSQL, RESTful APIs, etc.
- Knowledgeable in Amazon Web Services
- Highly motivated, self-starter, detail-oriented, intellectually curious, and organized
- Must possess exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experienced in Agile Software Development and ticketing systems such as Jira
- Practical understanding of Radio Frequency (RF) communications technology, systems, practices and tools
- Location: Traverse City, MI or Work From Home
- Ability to travel up to 4 times per year to headquarters (Traverse City)
- Military veterans and spouses are highly encouraged to apply
Something looks off?