Senior Robotics Engineer
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2023
Anduril is a defence technology company, bringing Silicon Valley talent and funding to the defence sector. Our technology helps our customers solve their toughest challenges by enabling them to make better, more informed decisions in life-and-death situations. We’ve assembled a diverse team of experts in artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor fusion, optics, and data analysis to create software and hardware solutions that radically evolve the defence capabilities of the United States, and are now seeking to replicate our successes internationally with a team based in Australia. If you are passionate about solving problems that have real impact, we want you to join Anduril and help us build the future of defence capability.
At Anduril Australia we are developing un-crewed maritime and air domain systems that leverage unsupervised autonomy for the delivery of long endurance, multi-mission capability to our customers. These projects, including but not limited to the Extra Large Autonomous Undersea Vehicle (XL-AUV) Program, require Senior Robotics Engineers with deep experience delivering robotic systems. The Senior Robotics Engineer strives to leverage their experience with robotic systems to rapidly architect, design, deliver, support, and evolve next generation autonomous vehicles through the entire product life-cycle.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Lead design and implementation of cutting-edge perception and planning algorithms into vehicle system software to ensure safe navigation and effective operation of autonomous vehicles
- Utilize advanced techniques in computer vision, sensor fusion, and machine learning to enhance perception and planning capabilities of Anduril vehicles
- Develop software that runs on- and off- platform, using a variety of technologies
- Contribute to the design and implementation of development processes for the initial delivery and subsequent iteration of robotic software, including full lifecycle testing
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team to integrate perception and planning technologies into vehicle architectures
- Conduct thorough testing and validation of perception and planning algorithms through simulation and real-world experiments
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including software engineers, mechanical engineers, and systems engineers, to ensure effective system integration and testing
- Bachelor’s degree in Robotics, Mechatronics, Computer Science, Engineering, a relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Experienced and proficient in C++ and/or Python software development
- Familiarity with autonomous vehicle hardware and sensors such as sonar, LIDAR, and cameras
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer vision, sensor fusion, SLAM, motion planning, and machine learning techniques
- Experience in a senior perception or planning role for the delivery of a robotic system
- Capacity to act as the technical owner for a software service, including stakeholder engagement, requirements definition, roadmap management, team co-ordination, design, implementation, sustainment and evolution
- Ability to collaborate with stakeholders to define and implement robust validation and verification strategies for perception and planning modules
- Capacity learn and grow individually, while mentoring junior team members effectively, building team cohesion and capacity
- Ability to obtain and maintain an Australian Government Security Clearance
- Experience with autonomous systems in the air, maritime or space domains
- Experience in implementing collision avoidance and/or warning systems
- Experience working on autonomous vehicles with poor or no GPS
- Experience with simulation tools and frameworks, such as Gazebo, Unity, or Unreal Engine, for algorithm validation and testing
- Knowledge of safety standards and certification processes for autonomous systems
- Experience within the product delivery lifecycle including manufacturing, system acceptance, deployment, and sustainment.
- Familiarity with System Engineering concepts
- Desire to learn and grow in to other roles that require experience as a Senior Robotics Engineer, such as Principal Robotics Engineer and/or Engineering Manager
- Desire to grow in to a Tech-Lead-Manager role, with responsibility for line management of engineers, in addition to delivery
At Anduril Australia, we strive to make this a workplace where you can do the best work of your careers. We have a range of industry leading benefits such as:
- Equity package so that you are part of the Anduril success story.
- Comprehensive caregiver and wellness leave policy to support you and your family.
- Private healthcare for you and your dependents.
- Delicious snacks, drinks and catered lunch at our offices.
- Phone bill reimbursement.
- Professional development allowance.
- Vacation bonus - we incentivize our employees to look after themselves by providing a yearly vacation bonus.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer, and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you are someone passionate to work on problems that matter, we’d love to hear from you!