Chief Architect - GCS
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 1, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
We are looking for a UAS Ground Control System Architect with experience in the industry to help design and manage the next generation of Anduril ground system products. Your job as a GCS architect will be twofold: (1) Deliver value to the customer through a careful consideration of requirements and the design trade space you manage, and (2) to prove successful execution against that architecture from concept through production to sustainment planning. In order to be successful at Anduril, a product architect needs to be fluent in areas of technical leadership, requirements-analysis, design rigor, and a hands-on contributor mindset. The Architect must drive first principles of engineering in design rigor and integration with other systems internal and external to Anduril. In short this individual will have ownership in executing product development, production, and sustainment through the entire product lifecycle.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Design and develop a UAS ground segment design integrated to several new and existing control and information structures. Lead and communicate the effort through a strong-matrix managed IPT structure
- Work with our product management and business development teams to distill a CONOP and trace a set of requirements to leading drivers of success
- Define the architecture topology that best meets the requirements, and understand key trades that are made through simulation and/or exploratory prototyping techniques. This includes but is not limited to developing accurate models to direct design of various SITL, HITL testing (sensing, compute, communications, energy storage and management, etc.)
- Prioritize and develop clear engineering strategies and accompanied resource plans. This is achieved by creating meaningful abstraction between sub-systems to guide engineering development efforts at scale and speed
- Incorporate DFM and other manufacturing considerations on the way to high-quality production
- Create and carry out a verification and validation plan for the end to end system
- Solve related reliability, yield, and performance issues through development and into production
- Support, test and field systems in a hands-on fashion
- BS/MS in Robotics, S/W, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other technical field
- Previous work on systems architecture on or related to UAS Ground systems or equivalent relevant experience developing control systems
- Strong understanding of the “why” behind the product and systems design
- Familiarity, understanding of RF systems and methods of information dissemination
- Proven experience developing system models to inform design, operation, and troubleshooting complex subsystem interaction to an external system
- Ability to effectively brief and interact regularly with a technically-oriented government customer
- Must be able to obtain and hold a U.S. Top Secret security clearance
- Demonstrated first principles approach to complex system level problems in developing command and control systems, robotic vehicles, drones, or other similar systems
- Experience in testing and troubleshooting complex Software and Electrical systems
- Experience familiarity working with various operating systems and communication protocols
- Ability to integrate electronic components into static mechanical designs
- Experience with robotics and sensing systems including their employment in final systems
- Experience and familiarity with aircraft systems
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!