Lead Test and Evaluation Engineer
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, July 9, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- As a Test and Evaluation (T&E) lead, under minimal supervision, you will determine and develop various approaches to achieve T&E goals and guide a flight test organization to perform the planning, preparation, execution and flight test reporting of a Program’s test activities.
- This position will focus heavily on new aircraft development, with emphasis on early envelope expansion, flying qualities and vehicle autonomy. You will be responsible for all T&E activities for a developmental aircraft. Your team will author ground and flight test plans, develop a comprehensive flight test campaign, perform aircraft maintenance and manage the configuration of multiple test articles in support of high-risk test events.
- Test duties include the developmental test of hardware and software in laboratory, ground and flight test environments, with emphasis placed on resource planning. You will be expected to seek process improvements to increase test efficiency across all test environments.
- You will facilitate and lead the interactions between disparate engineering teams.
- You will take lead of periodic and milestone engineering reviews, often facilitating technical discussions between Anduril and customer representatives.
- Faced with numerous technical and execution challenges, you will be expected to develop creative solutions to unique problems. You will be biased for action — you are empowered to engage your team to solve and fix any problem you encounter.
- You will be in a position to establish a vision which directly influences the T&E culture within Anduril. Your vision will challenge traditional T&E paradigms and affect the trajectory of the flight test industry.
- A bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, or aviation related technical discipline
- Graduate of a recognized test pilot school, or 10+ years of equivalent experience.
- Served as a Test Pilot, Test Conductor or Test Director for developmental manned and/or large UAS aircraft.
- Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expansive knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Strong computer and technical software experience (IADS, MATLAB, JIRA, DOORS, MS Office, CATIA, 3DX).
- Must have strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas.
- Able to work extended and irregular hours.
- Able to travel as required to support flight test execution and programmatic requirements.
- Must possess and be able to maintain an active U.S. Top Secret security clearance
- 15+ years flight test engineering experience
- Previously held the position of Flight test Lead or Lead FTE
- Masters in Aerospace Engineering, or aviation related technical discipline
- Experience as a test conductor, test director, or test pilot/navigator involved in high-risk testing.
- Experience working with the Department of Defense (DoD) as a contractor.
- Prior experience flight testing UAS systems.
- Prior experience with ship compatibility testing.
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!