Lead Airworthiness Engineer
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, July 9, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- You will work as the Lead Airworthiness Engineer to develop and author Airworthiness certification and conformance plans for developmental aircraft, supporting Flight Releases, Type Certification, tailored airworthiness, and FAA general use airspace integration.
- You and your team will perform technical airworthiness planning, tracking and verification support within a digital environment. This includes the development and negotiation of airworthiness bases of certification, means of compliance, and other certification activities. You will be responsible for cultivating total-system Airworthiness relationships between engineers and other technical authorities, including our customer partners.
- Airworthiness engineering duties include guiding technical reviews with your airworthiness engineers and engineering disciplines across the total system design, development and test processes.
- You are expected to perform functional and process analyses, requirements allocation and definition studies with program engineers and customer representatives. You will facilitate all interactions which translate customer requirements into criteria and derived requirements.
- You will ensure the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness certification objectives, to include the tailoring of traditional Airworthiness processes, and continuously evaluate and update Airworthiness plans with new realized solutions to meet program needs throughout the product lifecycle.
- Faced with numerous Airworthiness assessments you will proactively support and guide all design development towards Airworthiness compliance and support all processes leading to a successful issuance of a Military Flight Release (MFR). Subsequent to this you will actively solicit all engineering and systems data required to support iterative and on-going Airworthiness Boards, technical interchange meetings, and risk assessments.
- You will develop, author and maintain all Airworthiness activities in a digital environment which is interconnected with system requirements, program schedules, flight test point matrix, and also risk assessments. Using this digital infrastructure you will demonstrate the ability to perform statistical analysis or program performance and leverage your digital tools to provide input to the flight test program execution schedule.
- Faced with technical and execution challenges, you will be expected to develop creative solutions to unique problems. You will be biased for action — you are empowered to engage your team to solve and fix any problem you encounter.
- A bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or aviation related engineering degree.
- 10+ years flight test engineering experience.
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with DoD and FAA airworthiness authorities.
- Experience with DoD Airworthiness Policy Directives, Instructions, and Airworthiness Bulletins
- Proven experience working DoD and FAA Airworthiness processes, including MIL-HDBK-516 series documents, throughout the life cycle of a developmental aircraft to achieve successful program completion.
- Experience developing and managing Airworthiness plans, tracking of Airworthiness criterions, and similar activities.
- Must have experience with manned or UAS developmental Military aircraft.
- Ability to develop and execute Airworthiness Certification process improvement initiatives.
- Must have strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills, with emphasis on technical subjects.
- Strong computer and technical software experience (MATLAB, JIRA, DOORS, MS Office, CATIA, 3DX)
- Must possess and be able to maintain an active U.S. Top Secret security clearance and be able to obtain and maintain Special Program Access (PAR/SAP)
- Masters in Aerospace Engineering, Systems Engineering or aviation related technical discipline
- 15+ years flight test engineering experience.
- Systems engineering and Airworthiness experience with large UAS airworthiness authorizations.
- Experience authoring and submitting FAA Certificates of Waiver or Authorization (COA)
- Previously held a position as Airworthiness Engineering Lead or Airworthiness Engineer
- Airworthiness experience on a team that executed first flight on a manned or large UAS developmental aircraft.
- Experience working with the Department of Defense (DoD) as a contractor.
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!