Principal Firmware Engineer - Motor Control
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, June 7, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
The Firmware team designs embedded firmware from concept to production for our growing fleet of UAS and ground systems. This dynamic role works closely with other electrical, mechanical, software, firmware, and test engineers to support new developments and active deployments.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Help define requirements for motor control firmware and interfacing hardware components including voltage and current sensors, power stages, position and speed sensors, etc.
- Design, implement, test and validate motor control algorithms in C on microcontroller based custom hardware
- Debug and troubleshoot issues that span the electrical, firmware, and software boundaries
- Help review schematics with the electrical engineering team
- Maintain awareness of and influence research and development in key component technologies that influence future inverter/motor designs and motor control
- BS or MS in CS/CE/EE or equivalent plus a minimum of 10 years industry experience
- Expert C coding ability for embedded systems
- In depth fundamentals of BLDC and PMSM motor control
- Demonstrated history of timely delivery of motor control firmware in real products
- Solid background in linear systems analysis, stability, and controller design
- Solid understanding of Field Oriented Control, Space Vector Modulation and direct torque control
- Prior experience with flux estimation methods and analytical control system development
- Model development and data analysis using MATLAB/Simulink
- Debugging skills with JTAG, SWD, Oscilloscopes, and Logic analyzers
- U.S. Person status is required as this position needs to access export controlled data
- Solid understanding and application of coding best practices, board bring up and debugging
- Familiarity with sensor and sensor-less motor control algorithms and MTPA control
- System-oriented understanding of thermal, vehicle-level torque control, efficiency optimization
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!