Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Anduril’s Legal Team seeks a Legal Counsel-Compliance with a focus on the full spectrum of cUAS, AI, and robotics regulatory issues. This includes everything from providing legal oversight to product development, giving legal guidance to existing business areas, to crafting legal and business strategies. The Legal Team partners closely with customers, outside counsel, and business partners across the organization to support business development and day-to-day legal operations.
Anduril is a fast-growing company at the early stages of growth. Consistent with this fast growth, members of Anduril’s Legal Team must be resourceful, creative, and eager to take ownership of complex matters. The Legal Counsel-Compliance role will require creativity and resourcefulness to navigate the US Government’s broad set of compliance laws and regulations, with a singular focus on helping Anduril deploy its path-making technology into operational settings for the United States and its allies. In addition to helping managing aviation, spectrum and export control compliance, you will work on all other aspects of Anduril’s business, from negotiating license and services agreements, to international expansion, to handling intellectual property, and employment matters. Experience across all of these areas is not expected, but a willingness to learn and adapt is.
The Legal Counsel-Compliance will be expected to take responsibility for significant, material projects, which will have a significant impact on the company’s business. Our team is passionate about the law and policy of defense technology and you should have an independent interest in the key issues in this field. Anduril fosters a diverse, collaborative, culture with tremendous opportunities for ownership and professional growth.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Be a key member of Anduril’s small, dynamic Legal Team.
- Drive customer growth by managing the regulatory requirements to develop, deploy and operate Anduril products. Use your expertise in compliance to help the Business Development, Proposal, and Engineering Teams efficiently capture new contracts, grow existing contracts, and ensure timely and uninterrupted performance. Assist in the strategy development for new business.
- Manage relationships with Government regulatory agencies. High-trust professional relationships with Government regulatory offices are critical to Anduril’s continued success, and you will be called upon to develop and foster these relationships throughout your tenure.
- Work on all legal aspects of Anduril’s business, from negotiating license and services agreements, to international expansion, to handling intellectual property, and employment matters. You will represent the legal team in relationships with outside counsel, vendors, engineers, executives, customers, and regulators.
- 2+ years of experience with export controls, including jurisdiction and classification analysis and license applications for both the EAR and ITAR (or UK or EU equivalents)
- 2+ years of experience with IP laws and regulations, including patents, copyright, and trademarks (US, UK, or EU)
- 2+ years of experience with spectrum management laws and regulations (US, UK, or EU)
- 2+ years of experience with aviation laws and regulations (US, UK, or EU)
- The judgment and initiative required to own multiple projects from end-to-end, whether guiding engineering teams through the lifecycle of an export license or handling unexpected legal issues that may arise in defense or start-up companies
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Quick learner and able to contribute to the broader start-up legal function, including topics that may be completely new to you: everything from IP and litigation to financing, securities, compliance, and employment law, depending on the needs of the day
- U.S. Person status is required because the role requires access to export controlled information
- Licensed to practice law in CA or DC
- Wiling and able to work in Anduril’s DC office
- Willing and able to travel at least 30% of time to the UK
- Pre-law school professional experience
- Combination of law-firm and in-house/government experience
- Experience working with the government while in private practice
- Experience with engineering, software, or other technology
- An interest in the law and policy of AI, UAV, spectrum and trade control with opinions about what is right or wrong in the field and how to fix it
- Engineering background in the software, mechanical, or electrical engineering fields
- Experience with internal patent disclosures and filings with outside patent counsel
- In-house experience with HR and employment matters
- Engineering background, particularly in the electronics, radar, or radio spaces
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!
See more open positions at Anduril Industries
Something looks off?